But Queens face an in­jury sweat over star

Open­ing fix­tures played in the Chal­lenge Cup

The Galloway News - - DRIVE TIME EXTRA - John McNaught

The Chal­lenge Cup first round took place on Satur­day.

Low­land League side and cup hold­ers Dalbeattie Star trav­elled to New­ton Ste­wart and recorded an 8-0 win.

Con­nor Gra­ham started the rout fol­lowed by a Robert Green ef­fort. Ross Thom­son headed num­ber three be­fore New­ton’s Gavin Wil­liamson was dis­missed for a sec­ond yel­low.

Ally Ma­son scored a fourth for Star be­fore a glanc­ing header by Thom­son found the net. Lewis Todd scored num­ber six with Lewis Swan net­ting two min­utes later. Young sub Lloyd Pipe scored the fi­nal goal be­fore the Creesiders’ Ross Drys­dale was red-carded.

Mid An­nan­dale vis­ited New Abbey to play Abbey Vale, win­ning 2-1.

The Locker­bie side was two to the good by the break through Benji Wag­ner and Dean Smith. Vale failed to break down a stub­born de­fence with only an own goal to show for their work.

Lochmaben en­ter­tained St Cuth­berts for the sec­ond week and Saints re­versed the out­come in a 3-1 win.

The Ki rkcud­bright side’s goals came from Joe McMil­lan, Dale Mil­li­gan and an OG with Jor­dan Muir­head find­ing a con­so­la­tion for the home side.

There were five South League matches with table­top­pers Stran­raer at home against He­ston and run­ning out 3-1 win­ners. The vis­i­tors took the lead through Fraser Scott but the home side lev­elled be­fore the break.

Stran­raer scored twice after the restart to main­tain their per­fect record.

Sec­ond-placed Lochar This­tle trav­elled to play Niths­dale Wan­der­ers with the vis­i­tors also still un­beaten. How­ever, they lost their record in a 3-1 vic­tory for the home side.

A Sean McKen­zie dou­ble added to a Lewis Lang sin­gle was enough with Mark Wor­rall scor­ing a con­so­la­tion for the vis­i­tors.

The re­sult saw Lochar slip to third with Bon­ny­ton mov­ing up to sec­ond fol­low­ing their 5-0 win over Dum­fries YMCA.

Th­reave and Up­per An­nan­dale sat fourth and fifth re­spec­tively on goal dif­fer­ence be­fore Satur­day’s en­counter but the Mof­fat side leap- frogged their vis­i­tors with a 5-2 vic­tory.

The goals for Up­pers came from Lo­gan Dixon, Hay­den Long, Bai­ley White, Lewis Swift and Peter Pa­ton.

An­nan and Wig­town locked horns for the sec­ond week with the Tram­mond­ford side hav­ing won the pre­vi­ous match 3-1 on their own ground.

An­nan now have their first point of the sea­son after a 1-1 draw. Fol­low­ing a goal­less first half, Stu­art McC­ly­mont put the vis­i­tors ahead with a 20-yard shot be­fore the home side found the net to take a share of the points and break their duck. Re­sults, De­cem­ber 1:

South League: An­nan 1 Wig­town 1; Bon­ny­ton This­tle 5 YMCA 0; Niths­dale 3 Lochar This­tle 1; Stran­raer 3 He­ston Rovers 1; Up­per An­nan­dale 5 Th­reave Rovers 2.

SCFA Chal­lenge Cup round one: Lochmaben 1 St Cuth­bert Wan­der­ers 4; New­ton Ste­wart 0 Dalbeattie Star 8; Abbey Vale 1 Mid An­nan­dale 2.

Hos­til­i­ties over Queens boss Gary Nay­smith with coun­ter­part Gary Cald­well at full-time

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.