Captain is in charge

Maxwell is new Star boss

The Galloway News - - FRONT PAGE -

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH .............. 0 PARTICK THIS­TLE .........................3 Stephen Tem­lett Queen of the South de­liv­ered one of their worst per­for­mances of the sea­son against Partick This­tle.

And it would prove to be the last of Gary Nay­smith’s reign at the club.

The hor­ren­dous dis­play, com­bined with Al­loa Ath­letic draw­ing with Ayr United, means the Doon­hamers will take on Mon­trose in the first stage of the Cham­pi­onship play-offs.

Tues­day night will see Queens travel to Links Park be­fore en­ter­tain­ing the Gable Endies at Palmer­ston on Satur­day.

In both games the South will need to be much bet­ter than they were here.

Nay­smith re­ceived a boost be­fore kick off with the news Stephen Dob­bie would start the game.

The for­ward picked up a ham­string in­jury against Ayr United which but he passed a late fit­ness test and was put straight into the start­ing line.

The Doon­hamers were strug­gling to get to grips with the game and you could sense the nerves in the start­ing eleven to suc­ceed.

But with 15 min­utes gone dis­as­ter struck.

Lewis Mansell had his shot saved by Jack Leigh­field but the keeper spilled it back into the path of Mansell and he fired his re­bound into the roof of the net.

And the anx­i­ety of the home fans was ramped up even fur­ther with the news that Con­nor Shields had put Al­loa Ath­letic in front.

A few min­utes later Ayr United equalised but Queens still had to do their part to en­sure their sur­vival.

Things didn’t pick up for the South two min­utes be­fore the break. Scott Mercer tried to clear a Partick cross but man­aged to smash his clear­ance into Scott Mc­Don­ald and the Doon­hamers watched in hor­ror as the ball trun­dled into the net.

A big sec­ond half was needed and it didn’t look like they were ca­pa­ble of it.

Nicky Low made way for Dar­ren Brown­lie as Queens went to three at the back.

They still couldn’t cre­ate a clear cut chance and Partick al­most went 3-0 up when Blair Spit­tal rat­tled the cross­bar from 30 yards out.

Two min­utes later Lyn­don Dykes al­most got Queens back into the game. Sub Iain Wil­son crossed to Dykes and his header looked cer­tain to hit the back of the net but Jamie Sned­don stuck out a hand to make a great save.

The sham­bolic day at the of­fice was com­plete when Barry Maguire tripped Mc­Don­ald and captain Stu­art Ban­ni­gan con­verted the spot kick 17 min­utes from time.

Blocked Dykes header forces a fine save from Sned­don PICTURES: QOSFC.COM

Pain Lyn­don Dykes sums up the feel­ing around Palmer­ston at full time

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.