Bugs, bangers and Brexit
Rounding off an eventful year, a quiz to test whether you’ve been paying attention to food news, from the quaffable to the quotable to the questionable
1 In May, which proud British pub said ‘Vaffanculo’ to the Italians and ‘Allez vous faire foutre’ to the French?
a) The Union Inn, Saltash (above), because … well, just look at it.
b) Wetherspoons, whose owner Tim Martin printed Brexit propaganda on all its beermats.
c) The Camra Arms in Keswick, which banned foreign tourists following yet another complaint about the “warm” bitter.
2 Whose spicy intervention united an entire country in fury in October?
a) Nigel Farage, who said German sausages were the wurst in the world.
b) Gordon Ramsay, who told a French chef his national cuisine was “fucking effete”.
c) Jamie Oliver, who enraged the Spanish by putting chorizo in a paella. 3 Where can you now enjoy a Michelin-star meal for less than the price of a Big Mac? a) Dunkin’ Donuts, Doncaster. b) Le Gavroche, Mayfair. c) Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle, Singapore. 4 In February, France became the first country to ban what? a) Food banques. b) Food waste. c) The burger. 5 Which chain had to tackle a few bugs in July? a) Byron Burgers. b) The Sammy Coleridge Cafe and Opium Emporium. c) Yates’s Wine Lodge. 6 Match the foodie to the quotie...
1) ‘Your body is not a temple, it’s an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.’
2) ‘My experience of vegan food is that it tends to be a symphony of beige.’
3) ‘A healthy lifestyle isn’t healthy if it’s your entire crapping lifestyle.’
4) ‘The euro is going to fuck up the country and I really do mean that’.
5) ‘Lago di Paola mussels are good, cheap and, best of all – like good guests arriving at your door – they bring lots of liquor.’
6) ‘Christmas dinner: the single most disgusting meal ever invented, with the exception of American Thanksgiving – which, though similar, manages to be marginally worse … Nobody sane or loving could invent Christmas food from scratch.’
7) ‘The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook.’
8) ‘I’d be happy never to see another fucking cupcake in my life’ 7 Picture round: what am I? a) Not so gentle with this good knight. b) At these prices, you’d be off your trolley. c) Stir crazy. d) Festive fayre in parts of eastern Europe. 8 Why did chocolate lovers mind the gap in October? a) After Eight signed a sponsorship deal with London’s Night Tube. b) Toblerone removed half the triangles from its iconic chocolate bar. c) Mars launched new line of chocolate teapots. 9 Who was the out-of-this-world-menu below created for? a) Ziggy Stardust. b) Buzz Aldrin. c) Tim Peake. 10 What did health-conscious Kitchen Encounters guests pick as the number-one ingredient that makes everything taste better? a) Oil. b) Butter. c) Salt.
a Tim Martin b Julia Child c Allegra McEvedy d Jay Rayner e Rachel Roddy f Ruby Tandoh g AA Gill h Anthony Bourdain