Inquests into Egypt hotel deaths to open next week
The inquests into the deaths of a British couple who died on a Thomas Cook holiday in Egypt will be opened next week. John and Susan Cooper, from Burnley, Lancashire, died on 21 August while staying at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in Hurghada.
Their daughter, Kelly Ormerod, has said she has “no faith” in the Egyptian authorities, which reported that E coli bacteria killed her parents. The inquests will be opened at Preston coroner’s court on 18 September.
A Home Office pathologist began examining the bodies on Thursday. Dr James Adeley, senior coroner for Lancashire, warned it may take several months to analyse the findings.
Egypt’s chief prosecutor Nabil Sadek said this week that forensic examinations showed John Cooper, 69, suffered acute intestinal dysentery caused by E coli, and Susan Cooper, a 63-year-old Thomas Cook employee, suffered a complication linked to infection, likely to have been caused by E coli.