FIFA secretary general Valcke set to leave in February
JEROME VALCKE has disclosed he will step down as FIFA secretary general in February when Sepp Blatter hands over the presidency.
Valcke, who also said he has no responsibility for the corruption crisis, accepted that Blatter’s successor will want to appoint their own person.
He told a news conference in St Petersburg: “Whoever becomes the new FIFA president should have a new secretary general – it is the most important relationship for any organisation.
“As the head of the administration I can be proud of what FIFA’s administration has done and the administration has never been part of any of the stories about FIFA.
“Am I responsible for what has happened? I am not really involved and have anything to do with this case. The task of the secretary general is to implement the decisions coming from the congress and FIFA executive committee.”
Valcke also said Russia’s preparations were ‘way on track’, unlike in Brazil where he sparked a furious reaction in 2012 by saying organisers needed a ‘kick up the ass’.
“I’m not sure saying that in Russia will have the same impact, the same reaction,” he said.
“Russia is really way on track and I have no concern. The next secretary general should be happy as we have a well-organised World Cup.”
Meanwhile, FIFA has admitted the corruption scandal is deterring new World Cup sponsors from signing up and has organised a summit with existing partners to take place in August.
No replacement has been signed up for Emirates while none of the 20 regional sponsorship slots have been agreed.
Valcke told a news conference in St Petersburg: “The current situation doesn’t help to finalise any new agreements – that is a fact. And I’m sure until the election on February 26 there will not be any major announcements.”
The head of FIFA sponsor Visa has also delivered a stinging attack on Blatter, who is insistent he will remain in post until the election of his successor and this week announced a task force to bring in reforms.
But Visa chief executive Charlie Scharf said FIFA’s response to the corruption crisis had been ‘wholly inadequate’ and joined fellow sponsors Coca-Cola in demanding a fullyindependent reform commission.
ON HIS WAY: Valcke has chosen to leave FIFA before he is replaced