Lad­brokes Leagues 1 & 2 round-up

The Herald - Herald Sport - - FOOTBALL -

Brechin City refuse to be dis­carded in the League 1 ti­tle race and moved joint-top as Al­loa and Liv­ingston both stut­tered.

Goals from Ally Love and Andy Jackson se­cured a 2-1 home win over a Peterhead side, who had led at half-time through the in­evitable Rory McAl­lis­ter goal.

Al­loa sur­ren­dered a two-goal lead and could only draw at bot­tom club Sten­house­muir af­ter hav­ing Jim Good­win sent off with Oliver Shaw com­ing up with a last-minute equaliser.

Liv­ingston fin­ished with only nine play­ers in the 3-1 de­feat at East Fife. Jamie In­sall scored a dou­ble for the home side be­fore Michael Miller and Alan Lith­gow were red-carded late on.

Al­bion Rovers claimed the scalp of lo­cal ri­vals Air­drieo­ni­ans 2-0 and, with it, a slice of his­tory. It had been 70 years since Al­bion last won a league match at Air­drie and they savoured it.

Mark Ferry, who net­ted the sec­ond goal, ad­mit­ted: “I never re­alised it had been 70 years. You could say my goal was a big one and we are de­lighted with the three points and clean sheet.”

Man­ager Dar­ren Young added: “I had not re­alised it had been 70 years since we last man­aged to win. It was great re­sult for the team the club and the town.”

Iain Russell’s send­ing-off left Air­drie with too much to re­cover and de­fender Marc Fitz­patrick stated: “We were not good enough in the first half and found our­selves two goals down.

“We did have a rea­son­able start in the sec­ond half but it was very dif­fi­cult af­ter we went down to 10 men.

“They were strong de­fen­sively and we need to stop leak­ing goals and stay tighter as we try and pick our­selves up for a big game at Al­loa.”

Stran­raer won 2-0 against 10-man Queen’s Park at Ham­p­den with goals from Liam Dick and Craig Mal­colm. Dar­ren Miller was sent off for the home side.

As Manch­ester City pre­pare to visit Scot­land, they should be aware that For­far Ath­letic are the only team in Bri­tain with a bet­ter league record than them.

Gary Bol­lan’s side made it seven wins out of seven and moved eight points clear at the top of League 2 with a 1-0 win at clos­est ri­vals Clyde.

Bol­lan de­scribed the per­for­mance as “work­man­like” and ad­mit­ted his team were “for­tu­nate win­ners” but his team dis­played a re­silience that pleased him.

El­gin City moved into third place with a re­sound­ing 4-0 vic­tory at Stir­ling Al­bion, a re­sult that led to Stu­art McLaren, the home man­ager, de­part­ing the club.

McLaren took over from Greig Mc­Don­ald in Novem­ber 2014 but his team have man­aged just one league win this sea­son and cur­rently sit sec­ond-bot­tom.

Ar­broath and Cow­den­beath, mean­while, could not come up with a goal be­tween them and it was a sim­i­lar tale at Links Park where Montrose and Ber­wick played out a goal­less draw.

Ed­in­burgh City earned only their sec­ond point, af­ter draw­ing 1-1 at An­nan Ath­letic thanks to an own goal from Steven Swingle­hurst.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.