McInnes lets rip after woe­ful show by his cup hope­fuls

The Herald on Sunday - - SPORT - BY NEIL CAMERON

THERE was pos­si­bly no paint left on the walls of the away dress­ing room at Fir Park once Derek McInnes was fin­ished blow­ing off steam.

The Aberdeen man­ager was well within his rights to give his team the mother and fa­ther of all bol­lock­ings. They were dread­ful, weak in ev­ery de­part­ment, some looked dis­in­ter­ested and might even have played their way out of next Sun­day’s League Cup fi­nal with Celtic.

Aberdeen con­ceded a goal from their own cor­ner, then didn’t de­fend a set-piece and made a hash of clear­ing their lines. Mother­well were good. This was their best per­for­mance of the sea­son, but it was a woe­ful show­ing from the vis­i­tors.

“It was an aw­ful per­for­mance and a to­tal con­trast to how we’ve been of late,” said McInnes. “We’ve shown re­silience, kept plenty of clean sheets and re­stricted the op­po­nents, but to­day we were well beaten all over the pitch and two of the goals we con­ceded were calami­tous.

“To lose a goal 10 sec­onds after win­ning a cor­ner is some­thing you can­not leg­is­late for and the se­cond goal we lacked some size but you could see [Danny] John­son wanted to get on the end of the ball to put it in the back of the net.

“We looked for a re­sponse but the subs never of­fered much to change the game and the third goal came from a ric­o­chet but it was no less than Mother­well de­served, and we have a lot of work to do ahead of the cup fi­nal.

“We’ve got to look at this but we can­not dwell on it and we have to fo­cus on what could be a fan­tas­tic week­end for us. It’s im­por­tant we all knuckle down and bring a per­for­mance that is needed to win a cup fi­nal.”

McInnes was spot on but his side’s hope­less­ness shouldn’t take away from an ex­cel­lent Mother­well per­for­mance.

Aberdeen ac­tu­ally be­gan the game all right but things started to go awry after 25 min­utes. They had a cor­ner, but what­ever move they planned didn’t come off and Niall McGinn ended up try­ing to pass the ball back to last man Shay Lo­gan on the half­way line.

John­son in­ter­cepted the poor pass and ran at a back-ped­dling Lo­gan. An un­marked Liam Grimshaw, plus ev­ery home sup­porter, screamed for John­son to pass it, but he ploughed on, man­aged to cut in­side Lo­gan and his fin­ish was sub­lime.

Five min­utes later, and Gael Bi­gi­r­i­mana al­most caught out Aberdeen keeper Joe Lewis with a clever free-kick. He shaped to hit the ball left, he chose right and Lewis only just got his hand down to make the save.

How­ever, from that cor­ner, taken by Bi­gi­r­i­mana, first Cur­tis Main won a header and then John­son, whose ef­fort had enough on it to send the ball past Lewis.

The game was won 10 min­utes into the se­cond half. A cross into the Aberdeen box ping-balled off red shirts, Lewis Fer­gu­son’s clear­ance hit An­drew Con­si­dine, the ball fell to David Turn­ball who did re­ally well to take his time be­fore find­ing the bot­tom cor­ner. It could eas­ily have been more. “It was a good per­for­mance and a good re­ac­tion from what hap­pened against Rangers a few weeks ago,” said Mother­well man­ager Stephen Robin­son. “I thought we were well or­gan­ised, phys­i­cal when we had to be, but we had the qual­ity too.

“We have had to change things slightly but we have won three out of four. We want more own­er­ship of the ball, but still to be strong at the back. There were a lot of char­ac­ter­is­tics sim­i­lar to last sea­son and that was pleas­ing.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.