The Herald on Sunday
Coconut paneer tikka
Marinating this paneer means it’s loaded with flavour. This is one of Chetna Makan’s favourite recipes from her new cookbook.
“Ingredients: (Serves 4) For the paneer:
200ml natural yogurt
1tbsp tandoori masala 1/2tsp salt
450g paneer, cut into 2.5cm cubes 2tbsp sunflower oil
For the masala:
2tbsp sunflower oil 1tsp black mustard seeds 1tbsp urad dal 10 fresh curry leaves 2-4 dried red chillies 3 onions, thinly sliced 60g fresh coconut, grated 1/2tsp ground turmeric 1/2tsp chilli powder 1/4tsp salt
1. For the paneer, mix the yogurt, tandoori masala and salt together in a bowl. Add the paneer cubes and gently turn in the marinade until well coated. Set aside while you start the masala.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and urad dal and cook over a low heat for a minute. Then add the curry leaves and chillies and cook for a few seconds.
3. Add the onions and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes until lightly golden. Then stir in the coconut and cook for five minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the oil for the paneer in another pan, add the marinated paneer with all the excess marinade and cook over a high heat for five minutes, turning halfway through, until lovely and golden all over.
5. Add the cooked paneer to the onions and coconut with the turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and cook over a medium heat for five minutes, then serve.