Scot­tish Cup up­date

The Herald - Sport - - FOOTBALL -

ALL the hopes and dreams of the Scot­tish Cup were en­cap­su­lated into 90 min­utes at Falkirk Sta­dium, writes Roddy Macken­zie.

There was a non-league team play­ing above their sta­tion and hold­ing their own for 70 min­utes be­fore a child’s vi­sion came to fruition.

Lee Miller’s hat-trick even­tu­ally put Fraser­burgh in their place as Falkirk duly booked their fourthround berth with a 4-1 win, the player re­veal­ing after­wards that his son, Len­non, had fore­told it. Imag­ine.

“My last hat-trick was for Falkirk against St Mir­ren in a 4-4 draw but be­cause a St Mir­ren player also scored three that day I didn’t get to keep the match ball,” Miller ex­plained. “I’m keep­ing this one though. “It’s been a great week for me, be­tween get­ting my con­tract ex­tended then scor­ing three times and I’m re­ally buzzing.

“My wife and kids were here and, be­fore­hand, my nine-year-old son Len­non had said that I’d score a hat-trick so he called it right.”

Marc Lawrence had Fraser­burgh dreaming of an up­set with a 67th minute equaliser but it was to last just three min­utes. Will Vaulks re­stored or­der be­fore Miller hit a late dou­ble.

“That was an ex­pe­ri­ence I’ll never for­get,” Lawrence said. “We came down and we knew we could have parked the bus but we wanted to give it a go. Our fans had come here in num­bers and we wanted to put a show on for them – luck­ily enough we gave them a goal to cel­e­brate.

“When the ball came through to me I was looking over my shoul­der think­ing I was 20 yards off­side as there was no-one near me and it felt like ev­ery­thing was in slow mo­tion when I scored.”

Buckie This­tle – who lost 3-1 at Stran­raer – were the only other non-league team to exit the com­pe­ti­tion on Satur­day and this week’s fourth round draw will see an un­prece­dented nine teams from out­with the SPFL in the mix.

East Kil­bride led 2-0 at Sten­house­muir only for the home side to earn a re­play with a last-minute goal from Stu­art Mal­colm.

In­verurie Loco Works were 3-1 up at home to An­nan Ath­letic but then trailed 4-3 be­fore Neil McLean equalised in the fi­nal minute to take it to a re­play.

Andy Geg­gan gave Dun­fermline Ath­letic a 1-0 win at Ayr United, Mor­ton won 2-0 at Al­bion Rovers through goals from Denny John­stone and Joe McKee and Jor­dan White scored twice as Liv­ingston won 3-1 at Peter­head.

Raith Rovers, 2-1 vic­tors at El­gin City, and Air­drieo­ni­ans, who beat Brechin City 3-1, also made it through.

Six of the 13 ties played fin­ished as draws and re­quire re­plays.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.