Sport news in brief
Elliott returns to racing after suspension
Gordon Elliott was out of luck at Punchestown with his first runner since returning from suspension. The Irish trainer was banned for 12 months, with half of that punishment suspended, after an image of him sitting on a dead horse was widely circulated on social media in March.
Elliott was also ordered to pay costs of £15,000 – with the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board stating the punishment reflected
“the seriousness of the offence and the damage to the Irish racing industry” after the image provoked huge public outcry. After serving a ban of six months, during which Denise Foster took temporary control of Cullentra stables, Elliott saw his solitary representative on yesterday’s card, Oh Purple Reign, finish in 12th place. The trainer is set to saddle four runners on today’s National Hunt card at Sligo.
Team GB sprinter’s B-sample tests positive
The doping case of British sprinter CJ Ujah will go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) after his B-sample collected at the Tokyo Olympics confirmed the finding of two banned substances. Ujah was part of Team GB’s men’s 4x100m relay team alongside Zharnel Hughes, Richard Kilty and Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake – none of whom have been accused of wrongdoing – who won silver at the Olympic Stadium last month after they were pipped to gold by Italy in a dramatic finish on the line. Their medals are now at risk should Ujah’s provisional ban be upheld.
ECB to ask ICC to adjudicate over abandoned India Test
The England and Wales Cricket Board will formally request that the world’s governing body adjudicates on last week’s abandoned Test match if a rearranged fixture cannot be agreed. England’s fifth and final Test against India at Old Trafford was called off just hours before the start of play on day one due to Covid-19 concerns in the tourists’ camp.
The outcome of negotiations between the ECB and its Indian counterpart could have a significant bearing on points in the World Test Championship. India were 2-1 up in the Test series, with England hoping to force a 2-2 draw with victory in a rearranged final Test. Under WTC rules, matches can be cancelled, rather than forfeited, if coronavirus has had a “significant impact” and the ICC will be asked to rule on that if the two nations fail to reach an agreement.
Pele to leave intensive care after surgery
Pele will be moved out of intensive care in the next day or two as the Brazilian football legend continues his recovery from surgery. The 80-year-old, three-time World Cup winner has been in the Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo since doctors removed a tumour from his colon earlier this month.
“He is doing well post surgery, he is not in pain and is in a good mood (annoyed that he can only eat jello but will persevere!),” daughter Kely Nascimento said. “He will move into a regular room in the next day or two and then go home.” The hospital said last Friday that Pele was recovering satisfactorily. Pele has suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk unaided. The star had cut down on public appearances, making few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.
Want your views to be included in The Independent Daily Edition letters page? Email us by tapping here email@example.com. Please include your address
BACK TO TOP