Home news in brief
Fears US star could pull out of Glasto
Lana Del Rey has criticised the Glastonbury festival after feeling disappointed with its line-up announcement. On Friday Emily Eavis announced the first wave of 2023 performers, revealing that Arctic Monkeys and Guns N’ Roses will complete this year’s Pyramid Stage headliners alongside Elton John. All the other acts to have been announced are listed alphabetically on a poster, with no announcement made about who will headline
the Other Stage, which is considered the second biggest after the Pyramid.
Lana Del Rey was one such musician featured on the poster – however, the singer is not happy that the line-up news didn’t announce that she would be playing top billing on the Other Stage. Writing underneath the official Glastonbury post on Instagram, the singer said: “Thanks for announcing that I was headlining the other stage. Thumbs up.” A Twitter page dedicated to sharing the singer’s private Instagram posts also revealed that she seemingly threatened to pull out of this year’s festival. “Well, I’m actually headlining the 2nd stage,” she wrote after sharing the poster, adding: “But since there was no consideration for announcing that, we’ll see.”
Father of youngest Manchester victim to sue MI5
The father of the youngest victim of the Manchester Arena bombing is suing MI5 for the attack. Andrew Roussos, the father of Saffie, who aged eight was the youngest of the 22 people killed in the assault by suicide bomber Salman Abedi, said he has instructed solicitors to look into suing the security service. He said a number of other families had indicated they might join him in the legal action. The security service’s director general, Ken McCallum, issued a public apology last week after the public inquiry into the May 2017 atrocity found it might have been prevented if MI5 had acted on intelligence received in the months before.
Prisoner Bronson to face public parole hearing
Notorious prisoner Charles Bronson will make his latest bid for freedom at a public parole hearing this week. The Parole Board review of one of the UK’s longest-serving prisoners to decide whether he should remain behind bars begins today, making him the second inmate in UK legal history to have his case heard in public. Dubbed one of Britain’s most violent offenders, Bronson – who changed his surname to Salvador in 2014 after
the artist Salvador Dali, has been in prison for much of the last 50 years, often spending time in solitary confinement or specialist units. In a Channel 4 documentary which aired last week, he said: “I’ve got a horrible, nasty, vicious, violent past [but] I’ve never killed anyone, I’ve never harmed a woman, never harmed a child,” he said. “I’m focused, I’m settled, I can actually smell and taste freedom like I’ve never, ever done in [my] life. I’m now anti-crime, anti-violent. What the fuck am I still in prison for?”
All aboard! House for sale with private railway
A converted station house has hit the market for £500,000 – and it comes with its own locomotive and private train track. Saughtree Station in Newcastleton, Scotland, dates back to 1867 and was converted for residential use in the 1990s by the current owner. The quirky property boasts six bedrooms and six bathrooms and offers stunning panoramic views – but the real fun is outside. To the north of the home is the old railway platform and former railway line, with the track still working as a private railway. The area is available to purchase along with Meg of Saughtree – a Ruston diesel shunter – plus two wagons and a guard’s van. Property agent Andrew Thomson said: “This is one of the most unique properties I have come across. It must be one of the only properties available in recent ears with an opportunity to also purchase a working private railway and diesel locomotive.”
Man dies after car smashes into parked vehicles
An 18-year-old man died and two teenagers were arrested after a car smashed into parked vehicles in Southampton. A black Vauxhall Corsa crashed into the cars at around 1am yesterday morning. An 18-year-old, who was one of three people in the car, died. Two other teenagers suffered serious injuries. Two teenagers aged 17 and 19 were arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
Want your views to be included in The Independent Daily Edition letters page? Email us by tapping here firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your address