The Jewish Chronicle
Zionism row activist removed from poll
A HARINGEY councillor and Unite the Union activist has been removed from the Labour Party’s list of London Assembly election candidates following a meeting of a National Executive Committee panel.
The JC understands that at last Thursday’s meeting, a panel decided that Preston Tabois should be removed from the London-wide list of candidates on the grounds that his past conduct left him below the threshold required to stand for election.
Mr Tabois has previously faced several complaints over alleged antisemitism including comments involving conspiracy theories and derogatory remarks about Zionism.
The London bus driver had earlier been suspended from the party over allegations of antisemitism last August.
Mr Tabois had said he was devastated by the allegations and convinced the earlier disciplinary hearing he had not shared a social media post relating to the Holocaust as had been alleged.
At Thursday’s latest NEC panel hearing, Labour’s regional director recommended to the three person panel that Mr Tabois should be removed as a candidate ahead of the May election. He remains a member of the party.
Meanwhile, another Labour Haringey councillor, Noah Tucker, has been suspended from the party — almost immediately after his previous six-month suspension had been lifted.
Cllr Tucker had the whip withdrawn last September over allegations
Mr Tabois has faced complaints over alleged antisemitism he shared antisemitic content. After the six-month suspension ended it is understood that Labour acted on new evidence contained in a 19-page dossier.
Cllr Tucker told the Ham&High newspaper earlier this week: “The Labour Party has instructed me not to share any information on this matter with the media.
“I am hopeful that the Party will conduct a fair and unbiased investigation, which I am confident will clear me of any wrongdoing.
“Meanwhile, I will continue to serve the residents of St Ann’s ward and to defend and support the interests of the people of our borough.”