The Non-League Football Paper - - VANARAMA NATIONAL LEAGUE - By Paul Turner

IT was a tale of two man­agers at the Shay – one bar­racked by his own fans, the other lauded after sub­sti­tute Jordan White earned Bar­row all three points in West York­shire.

FC Halifax Town boss Billy Heath was sub­jected to calls for him to go from frus­trated Shay­men at the fi­nal whis­tle after a run of 11 matches with­out a win.

But, in one small cor­ner of the ground, more than 100 Bar­row fans were salut­ing the turn­around un­der their new boss Ady Pen­nock after White’s header – with his first touch 30 sec­onds after com­ing on – made it three away wins on the bounce.

Pen­nock has a 100 per cent record on the road since tak­ing over last month – quite a turn­around for a side who had not en­joyed such a feel­ing since April be­fore his ar­rival.

Blue­birds cap­tain Asa Hall praised his man­ager and the im­pact he has had af­ter­wards, ad­mit­ting: “It has been un­set­tled, for what­ever rea­son, but the gaffer has come in, changed a lot, im­ple­mented his views and his ways, and the lads have bought into it. It feels re­ally set­tled at the club now, ev­ery­one is happy and ev­ery­one is en­joy­ing it.”

This game, how­ever, was far from a clas­sic. For the first 20 min­utes of each half there was lit­tle to write home about, al­though a fire­work set off nearby at least made sure the crowd were awake.

The Shay­men went clos­est – Danny Clarke vol­ley­ing wide, while Tom Den­ton glanced a header just off tar­get. Scott Gar­ner also threat­ened with an op­por­tunis­tic ef­fort from 40 yards which drifted wide. Halifax though went even closer mid­way through the half when twice hit­ting the wood­work. First, Josh Wilde struck the foot of the far post with a 20-yard ef­fort, then Ben Tom­lin­son – a former Bar­row man – hit the cross­bar when the goal was gap­ing from six yards out. Bar­row had been let off but they couldn’t make Halifax pay with half chances fall­ing to Bed­sente Gomis an Yus­suf, while the lat­ter also had an ef­fort blocked. The scond half didn’t liven up much ei­ther with Clarke hav­ing the only shot of note blocked, so it was some­thing of a sur­prise when Bar­row broke the dead­lock on 69 min­utes – White com­ing off the bench and scor­ing with his first touch, a fine header into the bot­tom cor­ner. Gomis and Hall both went close to dou­bling Bar­row’s lead, while Jimmy Dunne at the other end was ex­cel­lent in en­sur­ing Halifax had no re­sponse. In­sist­ing he would not quit af­ter­wards, Heath moaned: “We’ve had the best two chances of the match, but when the luck is against you, it’s against you. “It’s just what’s hap­pen­ing at the minute – we can’t do any more, the play­ers can’t do any more.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.