The Non-League Football Paper - - VANARAMA NATIONAL LEAGUE - By Ruth Tun­nell

THERE was more mis­ery for Maid­stone United as two late goals from Tran­mere turned this match on its head to ex­tend the Stones’ win­less streak in the league to 17 games.

Up un­til the 85th minute, Maid­stone were in con­trol of this match and un­der­stand­ably Stones boss Jay Saun­ders was left gut­ted by the re­sult.

He told The NLP: “There wasn’t a lot wrong to­day, but all three goals we con­ceded were poor.

“I don’t know what to say re­ally, but we just have to keep go­ing.”

Tran­mere Rovers man­ager Micky Mel­lon was pleased with his side’s re­silience. “I am de­lighted we got the three points,” he said. “It was im­por­tant to bounce back. I could comb over what didn’t go well to­day but the one thing you can’t ques­tion is the side’s char­ac­ter.”

The Stones had a de­cent op­por­tu­nity to take an early lead.

On seven min­utes, Adam Bux­ton ac­ci­den­tally headed the ball into the path of De­lano Sam-Yorke, but he put his half-vol­ley wide of the tar­get.

Then, with 28 min­utes gone, Maid­stone edged in front. Jack Pax­man was fouled and Jai Rea­son put the ball into the box.

A clus­ter of Stones play­ers went for the ball and it was Ross Lafayette’s header that came back off the bar and Alex Fin­ney re­acted quick­est to en­sure the ball crossed the line.

But un­for­tu­nately for the Stones, a de­fen­sive er­ror was once again to prove costly.

Maid­stone failed to deal with a rou­tine ball into the box leav­ing Andy Cook with the sim­ple task of scor­ing from close range. How­ever, the Stones quickly bounced back from this set­back. Blair Tur­gott did well to surge into the box, where he was tripped by Bux­ton. Lafayette as­sumed re­spon­si­bil­ity for the penalty and he rolled it into the left side of the net. There was very lit­tle in the way of goal­mouth ac­tion in a quiet sec­ond half un­til the 85th minute when Maid­stone were un­lucky to con­cede an equaliser. Dunne put the ball into the box and the un­for­tu­nate Alex Fin­ney turned it past Wor­gan. And things were to get even worse for the Stones three min­utes later. Fin­ney went through Con­nor Jen­nings in the area and the ref­eree, David Rock, pointed straight to the spot, leav­ing Bux­ton to fire the ball past Wor­gan to give Rovers all three points.

PIC­TURE: Matt Bris­tow

ROVERS RE­TURN: Team­mates swamp Tran­mere de­fender Adam Bux­ton af­ter his goal from the spot claimed vic­tory for the vis­i­tors

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.