Drag­ons’ pro­mo­tion hopes hit

The Non-League Football Paper - - VANARAMA NATIONAL LEAGUE - By MARK CUR­RIE

VER­DICT: Wrex­ham rode their luck against an im­pres­sive Alder­shot side who some­how twice found them­selves trail­ing, but hit back to de­servedly take a share of the spoils

AFOURTH suc­ces­sive draw did lit­tle for Wrex­ham’s dwin­dling hopes of au­to­matic pro­mo­tion, but they re­main in con­tention for the play-offs fol­low­ing an ac­tion­packed four-goal thriller against ri­vals Alder­shot Town.

On-loan Black­pool striker Scott Quigley twice put the Drag­ons in front, tak­ing his tally to six goals in seven out­ings, but the Shots, who saw two play­ers in­jured in the pre­match warm-up, were eas­ily the most im­pres­sive vis­i­tors to the Race­course this sea­son.

And their man­ager Gary Wad­dock was dis­ap­pointed not to be leav­ing with all three points.

“We were away from home, we had two lads in­jured dur­ing the warm-up and had to change our team se­lec­tion ten min­utes be­fore kick-off,” he told The NLP.

“So to play like that and cre­ate the chances we cre­ated I per­son­ally think we should have come away with the win.

“We con­ceded two dis­ap­point­ing goals but we should have taken our chances.

“We dom­i­nated the game in terms of pos­ses­sion and the chances we cre­ated but we might have gone in 1-0 down at the break and that would have been un­be­liev­able.

Hav­ing net­ted just two points from three games in the last eight days, Wad­dock added: “It’s been a very dis­ap­point­ing week, there’s no get­ting away from that, but to­day’s per­for­mance shows the lads are still con­fi­dent so we’ll just keep go­ing.

“We’ll try and get as many points as we can and see where we are at the end of the sea­son.”

Wrex­ham boss Dean Keates felt his side should have claimed the points. “For me Alder­shot are the best foot­balling side in the di­vi­sion,” he said. “But we’re dis­ap­pointed with the goals we've con­ceded. We’ve twice been in the lead.”

Shots’ goal­keeper Lewis Ward and mid­fielder Jake Keller­man were the late with­drawals so Jake Cole and Jake Gal­lagher stepped up from a bench re­duced to just three re­main­ing sub­sti­tutes.

None­the­less the vis­i­tors were on top from the start and forced the Drag­ons to con­cede a se­ries of cor­ners be­fore Chris Dunn saved bravely at the feet of Scott Ren­dell.

Will Evans went close with a fine header that was cleared off the line by Sam Wedg­bury and when Wrex­ham mounted their first at­tack they snatched the lead through Quigley who chested in a Jonathan Franks cor­ner.

Alder­shot con­tin­ued to boss both ter­ri­tory and pos­ses­sion, al­though their fi­nal ball was too of­ten miss­ing, and when Shamir Fenelon did have a de­cent sight of goal he volleyed well wide of the tar­get. But the 23-year-old striker atoned for that miss, ri­fling home a first-time shot in the 42nd minute to en­sure his side de­servedly went into the break on level terms.

Wrex­ham, though, re­stored their lead on 58 min­utes af­ter Quigley latched on to Hol­royd’s header and slot­ted the ball past Cole.

With 15 min­utes left Dunn was beaten by a Cal­lum Reynolds touch from James Rowe’s cor­ner, but Wrex­ham had two late chances to snatch vic­tory, Quigley and Jonathan Franks shoot­ing wide. STAR MAN: Scott Quigley (Wrex­ham) ATT: 4,662 EN­TER­TAIN­MENT: ★★★★★ REF­EREE: Thomas Bra­mall 7/10.

PIC­TURE: Alun Roberts

RID­ING HIGH: Scott Quigley, cen­tre, takes the ac­claim for his sec­ond goal

LIFT OFF: Shamir Fenelon goes air­borne for the Shots’ first equaliser

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.