The Non-League Football Paper - - BOSTIK NORTH & SOUTH - By David Hunter

CHESHUNT are within just two points of rel­e­ga­tion dan­ger af­ter a 4-1 ham­mer­ing at Ave­ley.

Rom­ford’s 2-1 win over Bark­ing means the pres­sure is on for the side sec­ond bot­tom, far from helped when Tom Richard­son opened the scor­ing just four min­utes in for the home side.

And with just seven min­utes played the lead was dou­bled for Ave­ley when Con­nor Wither­spoon fired in, while debu­tant Richard­son had his sec­ond by the break.

No team is on bet­ter form over the past six games than Ave­ley and it was easy to see why, go­ing 4-0 up when Lewis Gard tucked the ball away.

Cheshunt did net a con­so­la­tion through Sam Alder­son with half-an­hour to play but they’ll need to ad­dress their form and fast if they are to es­cape rel­e­ga­tion dan­ger.

Ware are also far from out of the woods af­ter they fell to a 2-0 de­feat at the hands of Haringey Bor­ough, who them­selves moved into the play-off places.

Coby Rowe got the first goal for the hosts, though it took a long time com­ing with 34 min­utes played.

And the game was ef­fec­tively sealed on the hour when An­thony McDon­ald found the net with ease as Ware slipped to an 18th de­feat of the sea­son.

Mean­while, Tony Stokes’ 80th-minute equaliser earned Brent­wood a 1-1 draw that their sec­ond-half per­for­mance de­served.

Rhys Lo­gan had a goal ruled out for offside be­fore he put Dere­ham ahead in the 23rd minute, con­vert­ing a Daniel Beau­mont cross.

Luke Fos­ter had the Blues’ best chance of the first half and vis­it­ing keeper El­liott Pride de­nied him with a fine dou­ble save eight min­utes into the sec­ond half.

A minute later Jack Gard­ner hit the un­der­side of the Dere­ham cross­bar and it was Gard­ner whose early pass put Stokes clear for a fine fin­ish.

In a fran­tic three min­utes of stop­page time, Brent­wood could eas­ily have grabbed a win­ner but Bren­den Cav­a­lier headed their best chance wide of the post. An­other draw for Bury

Town has seen their play­off hopes con­tinue to slip away, miss­ing too many chances in their 0-0 draw with Waltham Abbey.

Bury went close on a few oc­ca­sions dur­ing the first half but the best chance fell to Waltham on 33 min­utes. A quick at­tack saw Bury keeper Luis Tib­bles rush out to clear the ball and Ayr­ton Co­ley beat the stranded keeper but put his shot against the far post.

Bury’s best chance came with lit­er­ally the last kick of the game when Oliver Dun­lop cracked his shot off the bar in the 94th minute.

Just a sev­enth draw of the sea­son came So­ham Town Rangers’

way as they held Grays Ath­letic to a stale­mate. In truth both teams would have been rea­son­ably con­tent with the 0-0 draw, with chances at a premium, though any late Grays push for the play-off places look to be fall­ing by the way­side.

The same can also be said for Witham Town and Hey­bridge Swifts, locked into the ob­scu­rity of mid-ta­ble af­ter their 1-1 Fri­day night draw.

Har­ri­son Chat­ting fired into the roof of the net to open the scor­ing for the vis­i­tors in a bois­ter­ous at­mos­phere, which saw vis­it­ing man­ager Jody Brown sent off.

But the hosts snatched an equaliser in the game’s dy­ing em­bers when Cor­rey David­son popped up in dra­matic cir­cum­stances.

One game fell to the weather as Nor­wich

United v Hert­ford Town was post­poned.

FIR­ING: Con­nor Wither­spoon

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.