The Non-League Football Paper - - FA CUP 1ST ROUND - By Lewis Trainer

IT was a day to for­get for Dover Ath­letic as they crashed to a heavy de­feat at League Two side Bury.

This was some­thing of a free hit for Andy Hessen­thaler’s men but first-half goals from Jay O’Shea, Danny Mayor and By­ron Moore put the Shak­ers out of sight by half-time.

Moore added a fourth on 64 min­utes be­fore sub Do­minic Telford com­pounded Dover’s mis­ery in stop­page time.

“Los­ing the two goals early on was a bit of a killer for us,” Hessen­thaler said.

“Bury are an ex­cel­lent team. They’ve been tonk­ing sides in their divi­sion this sea­son

“We gave our­selves too much of a moun­tain to climb, and against a good side like Bury you just can’t do that.

“If we’d gone 1-0 up in the open­ing min­utes, things might have been dif­fer­ent, but it wasn’t to be.

“We’ve not re­ally done our­selves jus­tice, but that seems to be the way things are go­ing for us at the mo­ment.

“We’ve got re­ally im­por­tant league games com­ing up and we need to be re­ally fo­cused on them now.

“It’s not the best of sit­u­a­tions we’re in of course, but there’s lots of points still to play for.

“The lads are down of course, but it’s about show­ing a bit of char­ac­ter now and bounc­ing back pos­i­tively.”

The Whites brought in Bed­sente Gomis for Bobby-Joe Tay­lor in their only change from the vic­tory over Maiden­head last week, but Hessen­thaler could only name six of the al­lot­ted seven subs.

His side ac­tu­ally started the brighter but it was Bury who broke the dead­lock 12 min­utes in. The im­pres­sive Mayor found Cal­lum McFadzean down the left and his low cross kindly de­flected into the path of O’Shea, who calmly slot­ted home.

Moore squan­dered a glo­ri­ous chance to make it 2-0 three min­utes later be­fore Mayor duly obliged on 18 min­utes with a stun­ning solo ef­fort, glid­ing past at least two Dover chal­lenges be­fore drilling home.

Inih Ef­fiong and Gomis went close for the visi­tors as they looked to find a glim­mer of hope, but Bury re­mained in con­trol and it was no sur­prise when they made it 3-0 on 36 min­utes – Moore tuck­ing home un­der­neath Mitch Walker’s body af­ter latch­ing on to Nicky May­nard’s smart pass.

Bury kept up the pres­sure in the sec­ond half and af­ter Neil Danns fired over with the goal as his mercy it was soon four, Moore hook­ing home Danns’ cross from close-range.

Telford’s in­di­vid­ual ef­fort in in­jury time wrapped up a hand­some vic­tory for the home side, leav­ing man­ager Ryan Lowe might­ily re­lieved to have avoided the ba­nana skin.

“I’m just happy to be in the hat to be hon­est,” Lowe said. “I be­lieve there’s been a few up­sets to­day, I’m just glad we’ve not been on the wrong end of one of them.

“The lads have done their jobs bril­liantly. They were re­spect­ful of the op­po­si­tion, they stuck to the game-plan, and in the end they’ve come away with a hand­some re­ward.”


HIT AND HOPE: Dover’s Bed­sent Gomis tries his luck to no avail

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.