The Non-League Football Paper


- By Andy Marsh STAR MAN: Tyrese Sinclair (Altrincham) ATT: 2,275 ENTERTAINM­ENT: ★★★★★ REFEREE: Paul Marsden

ALTRINCHAM continued their fine turn in form with a demolition of fellow mid-table Solihull Moors which sees them maintain their slim hopes of a playoff spot.

A brace from Rochdale loanee Tyrese Sinclair helped the Robins to their third straight win and leaves Moors five without victory as they continue to tumble down the table.

“It could’ve been six or seven, but we’re not greedy!” said a delighted Alty assistant boss NeilSorvel. “We’ve never took a point off them before today, so I’m just delighted with the win.

“It was emphatic and for 75 minutes, to a man, we were outstandin­g. We know they’re having a sticky patch, but we completely over ran them in midfield.

“That’s three massive wins in a row for us now, and we’re scoring plenty of goals. We just need to find that elusive clean sheet.”

Alty were on top from the start and deservedly went in front on 11 minutes. A long goal-kick from Ollie Byrne wasn’t dealt with, and fell straight to Sinclair who took a touch before expertly lobbing the outrushing Ryan Boot.

The hosts should have doubled their lead midway through the half when Boot beat Jordan Hulme to the ball but cleared straight to Sinclair in the box, but his effort flashed just passed the far post.

Moors then equalised completely against the run of play on 28 minutes. The ball was cleared out to Mitch Roberts on the left, and the full-back hit a daisy-cutter from 35 yards which flew in off the post.

Alty, however, weren’t deterred and retook the lead seven minutes later when a sublime cross-field pass by makeshift right-back Josh Lundstram sent Sinclair clear. The forward kept his composure to finish well into the far corner.

Regan Linney made it three in first-half stoppage time when he was brought down by Solihull captain Callum Howe in the box and made no mistake from the spot with his third in three starts.

More of the same came after the break with Hulme terrorisin­g the visitors’ back four. Linney should have done better when played in by the Alty captain early in the half, before Hulme headed in Elliot Osborne’s corner on 55 minutes to make it four.

Hulme should have had a second ten minutes later when he was allowed to walk through the Moors penalty area unchalleng­ed, but his effort was tame and held by Boot.

“I’d like to start by apologisin­g to the fans,” said Moors boss Neal Ardley with his side now winless in five and down to 13th. “It’s not what people who pay good money expect.

“It’s really, really tough to take a performanc­e as lacklustre as that. We know what they’re about and we literally played into their hands.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom