The Non-League Football Paper


- By Brett Lewis STAR MAN: George Broadbent (Boreham Wood) ATT: 1,075 ENTERTAINM­ENT: REFEREE: Wayne Cartmel

TWO goals in three second-half minutes from strike pair Tyrone Marsh and Lee Ndlovu saw Boreham Wood move menacingly back into play-off contention at the expense of much-improved Scunthorpe United at Meadow Park.

The quickfire double ensured a first win in five games for Wood, while the new-look Iron remain ensconced in the relegation places.

“After four draws in a row, the main thing today was to get the three points,” relieved Wood boss Luke Garrard told The NLP.

“It was nice to score the two goals in quick succession to give us the cushion we needed.

“I am pleased that our two forwards were the once to get the goals as it’ll give them the confidence they need.”

Both sides took time to get going but Wood showed first with Chris Bush’s trademark throw-ins causing havoc in the Scunthorpe area – Andrew Boyce blocking an effort from Femi Ilesamni.

Three minutes a later, a wind assisted goal kick from Nathan Ashmore fell into the path of Tyrone Marsh who could only steer his shot wide.

Marsh then fired another effort over before the hosts we nt close again a minute later when some good interplay between Bush and Erico Sousa resulted in Zak Brunt firing just wide.

Wood continued to dominate first-half possession, pinning Scunthorpe in their own half, but were unable to penetrate a dogged Iron’s defence.

At the other end, chances were few and far between, although Jacob Butterfiel­d registered the visitors’ first shot at goal but fired well wide. Then, just before the interval, Alfie Beestin headed straight into the arms of home keeper Nathan Ashmore from a Butterfiel­d free-kick.

Wood continued to dominate at the start of the second half, forcing several corners. They forced a good chance on 53 minutes when Brunt played in Sousa, whose shot was well saved by Chapman.

Three minutes later, however, they finally found a way through when Brunt played in Marsh who finished well past Chapman.

Then, two mminutes later, the advantage was doubled when some confusion in the Iron defence between Reagan Ogle and Chapman, allowed Wood’s number nine to nip in and fire home.

Smelling blood, Wood continued on the front foot and Marsh was quickly denied by Chapman.

Scunthorpe, however, gave it a go in the final quarter in a bid to salvage something from the game with Sean Shields seeing a shot blocked on 70 minutes and Gerry McDonagh was off target with a header.

And, with three minutes left, Will Smith was denied by Ashmore to compound their frustratio­ns. ★★★★★

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom