The Non-League Football Paper


- Dyson 15, John-Lewis 83 By Matthew Butterwort­h STAR MAN: ATT: ENTERTAINM­ENT: ★★★★★ REFEREE: Ed Duckworth

YORK City secured a much-needed three points over a dejected Yeovil Town side thanks to a late header from captain Lenell John-Lewis.

It was just York’s third league win in 20 matches, but helped the Minstermen rise to 18th in the National League table with a four point gap between the relegation zone.

However, there were less glory for Yeovil, who find themselves coated in uncertaint­y. With manager Mark Cooper previously worried about a lack of staff and how the club is fortunate to have not folded, the Glovers have now slipped into the relegation zone.

York were delighted with the result, despite interim assistant manager Scott Barrow not being too pleased with their second half performanc­e.

“[My emotions are] very high.” admitted Barrow.

“I thought we were brilliant first half, with organisati­on we looked like scoring a lot more goals. We looked solid, but in the second half they came out and changed a little bit and it was tough.

“I don’t think we were great in that second half but the character and togetherne­ss of this group can never be questioned.”

Yeovil boss Cooper immediatel­y instated Seb Palmer-Houlden and Josh Owers into his starting eleven just hours after the pair joined on a loan deal from Bristol City.

But after a quiet opening 15 minutes, it was York who first struck gold as

Olly Dyson propelled the Minstermen in front.

A trademark long throw from Mark Ellis caused confusion amongst the Yeovil backline, before the loose ball was deflected into the path of Dyson, who was able to slam the ball past Grant Smith through a crowd of bodies.

Yeovil came close to equalising just minutes later, but Morgan Williams somehow headed over the bar from three yards out after a teasing Jordan Maguire-Drew free-kick. Heading into the second half, Yeovil asserted an early dominance and quickly drew the scores level.

A class free-kick from Charlie Cooper was poorly dealt with by the York defence, before captain Josh Staunton raced onto the aerial ball to nod past a stranded Ryan Whitley.

Watford loanee Shaq Forde had two crucial chances to reinstate the City lead not long later, as his first effort was reactively stopped by Smith, before minutes later he managed to round the Yeovil goalkeeper and supporting defender, but somehow blasted an effort over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

But then, on 83 minutes, a well-worked move spearheade­d by Ryan Fallowfiel­d saw the wing-back deliver a teasing cross onto the head of John-Lewis, who was able to glance home to send the 3,000 York supporters into raptures.

Olly Dyson (York)


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom