The Non-League Football Paper


- By Carl Field

HAVERFORDW­EST COUNTY remain in the driving seat in the race to claim the final Europa League play-off place after they won 2-0 at

Flint Town United yesterday.

Tony Pennock’s men stay four points clear at the top of the JD Cwmru Premier Play-Off Conference with three games left to play.

Corey Shephard and Jordan Davies got the goals early for the Bluebirds, while Harry Owen was sent off late on for the home side.

Champions The New Saints enjoyed a thumping 5-0 away win at nine-man Newtown. Kieran Mills-Evans and Callum Roberts were sent off for the hosts in the second half. Declan McManus was the star with a hat-trick to take his season’s league tally to 24 goals.

Subs Adrian Cieslewicz and Gwion Dafydd got the other goals.

On Friday, there were away wins for second-placed Connah’s Quay Nomads and Penybont in third.

The Nomads won 2-1 at Bala Town thanks to Harry Franklin and George Horan, either side of George Newell’s equaliser.

Penybont edged a thriller at

Cardiff Met, fighting back from 2-0 down to triumph 3-2 thanks to Lewis Harling’s 79th-minute winner.

Lewis Rees put the home side ahead and Harry Owen doubled their advantage. But Nathan Wood began the comeback on 64 minutes and Ryan Reynolds equalised.

In the Play-Off Conference on Friday, second-placed Caernarfon Town had a 4-0 home win over bottom side Airbus UK Broughton.

Thomas Marsh-Hughes put the hosts ahead in the first minute and Airbus, who have lost 27 of their 28 games, were further hampered by a straight red card for Gareth Edwards after just 17 minutes.

Sion Bradley missed the penalty but Marsh-Hughes got his second just before the half-hour and there was no way back.

Dan Gossett made it 3-0 from the rebound when his penalty was saved three minutes after the break and Marsh-Hughes completed his hat-trick just before the hour.

The race for the JD Cymru North title looks to be going down to the wire with both leaders Colwyn Bay and second-placed Holywell Town victorious yesterday.

Colwyn Bay remain three points clear with two games to play after a comfortabl­e 3-0 home win over struggling Penrhyncoc­h.

Sam Hart and Lewis Sirrell put Steve Evans’s men in control before Hart wrapped up the win with his second and the Seagulls’ third.

Holywell kept up the pressure with a 25th successive league win as they won 2-1 at Prestatyn Town.

Dan Atkins put the hosts ahead but Daniel Andrews equalised before David Forbes’ winner. Holywell know 27 wins may not be enough. They will be relying on Colwyn Bay stumbling at Penrhyncoc­h and at home to Llandudno as the leaders have a superior goal difference.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom