Happy hair­cut as Lewis bags a su­perb hat-trick

The Oban Times - - SPORT -

A hat-trick from lead­ing goalscorer Lewis Cameron, sport­ing a new hair­cut, saw Oban Saints safely through to the fourth round of the Scot­tish Am­a­teur Cup at a windswept For­far Com­mu­nity Cam­pus last Satur­day af­ter­noon. De­spite once again not fir­ing on all cylin­ders Saints had more than enough in their ar­moury to see off the chal­lenge of their Midlands Am­a­teur Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion Premier Divi­sion op­po­nents.

Man­age­ment duo Donald Campbell and Wil­lie Gem­mell had to con­tend with in­juries to Ruar­idh Horne, and Fraser Mac­Far­lane, plus Craig MacEwan was a late with­drawal due to work com­mit­ments but they were able to bring Matthew Kelly and Shaun MacIver back into the squad af­ter long lay-offs. Also mak­ing the long jour­ney to For­far, al­though not yet fit enough to play a part, was long-term in­jury vic­tim Myles MacAu­lay.

Coach Jamie Gra­ham re­sumed his place at right­back along­side Steven MacLeod, cap­tain Dene Cas­sells and Scott Mait­land. Kerr New­big­ging and Daniel Croarkin con­tin­ued their partnership in the mid­dle of the park, while ahead of them, Lewis Cameron was flanked by James Ford and David Beaton. Donald Campbell led the line, while Gra­ham Dou­glas re­tained the num­ber one jer­sey. Mak­ing up a strong sub­sti­tutes bench were Wil­lie Gem­mell, Dou­gal Gra­ham, Matthew Kelly and Shaun MacIver.

Thank­fully the heavy rain which had fol­lowed Saints for most of the long jour­ney from the West Coast dis­ap­peared by the time the trav­el­ling party had reached An­gus. How­ever there was still a strong wind to con­tend with which would make life dif­fi­cult for both sets of play­ers.

Saints had the ben­e­fit of the wind in the first half and had an early op­por­tu­nity to test Fraser Reid in the Lowson goal when the big keeper sclaffed a clear­ance straight to Kerr New­big­ging on the edge of the cen­tre cir­cle. New­big­ging threaded the ball through to Lewis Cameron whose snatched low shot was eas­ily gath­ered by the grate­ful Reid.

Fraser Reid pro­duced the first of a num­ber of good saves in the 10th minute to deny David Beaton. Scott Mait­land won a throw-in on the left which Donald Campbell took down and laid off to Beaton on the six-yard line. Reid stood up well to block Beaton’s left foot ef­fort and was happy to see Jamie Gra­ham blaze the re­bound over the cross­bar from 12 yards.

A per­fectly weighted 14th minute pass from Donald Campbell sent David Beaton rac­ing through the in­side left chan­nel only for Lowson cap­tain Cameron Howie to halt Beaton’s run with an ex­cel­lent slid­ing in­ter­cep­tion at the ex­pense of a cor­ner kick.

Beaton’s strong run through the mid­dle six min­utes later earned Saints a free-kick in a dan­ger­ous area when Dean Fletcher’s chal­lenge from be­hind sent the wee man crash­ing to the ground.

Lewis Cameron staked his claim to Wil­lie Gem­mell’s free-kick ex­pert throne with a vi­ciously dip­ping ef­fort from 22 yards which left the Lowson keeper claw­ing at thin air and gave Saints a de­served lead.

The strong wind gave the Saints de­fence prob­lems in the 23rd minute caus­ing Dene Cas­sells to mis­judge a header in the cen­tre cir­cle, with Dean Fletcher knock­ing the loose ball in be­hind Jamie Gra­ham on the Saints right. Gra­ham re­cov­ered well to track the run of Liam Hely and con­cede a cor­ner kick on the left. Dean Fletcher was left un­marked on the six yard line for­tu­nately, how­ever, his header from Scott Fuller­ton’s de­liv­ery lacked the power to beat Gra­ham Dou­glas who gath­ered at his near post.

Saints played their way out from the back with Scott Mait­land and Donald Campbell com­bin­ing to win a cor­ner kick on the left. Kerr New­big­ging was beaten to Lewis Cameron’s in-swinger by Mark God­frey who headed the ball back in the di­rec­tion it had come from. Cameron took the ball down in­side the box and fired in a right foot shot from 14 yards which Fraser Reid saved well at his near post.

Lewis Cameron had an­other op­por­tu­nity to put his new found dead-ball prow­ess to good use in the 31st minute, how­ever his ef­fort from 22 yards and left of cen­tre failed to find it’s in­tended des­ti­na­tion of the postage stamp cor­ner and sailed high and wide of tar­get.

Scott Mait­land con­tin­ued to push for­ward on the left and won a cor­ner kick in the 34th minute. Lewis Cameron’s de­liv­ery once again caused prob­lems and James Ford was sent sprawl­ing as he at­tempted to get the bounc­ing ball un­der con­trol. There was a loud Saints ap­peal for a penalty kick, how­ever ref­eree Derek Fol­ganan from Aberdeen, who han­dled pro­ceed­ings well, was un­moved and sig­nalled play-on. Saints co-man­ager Wil­lie Gem­mell had too much to say on the mat­ter and was spo­ken to by Mr Fol­ganan who made it per­fectly clear he wasn’t

pre­pared to tol­er­ate his con­tin­ued protests.

Kerr New­big­ging, who turned in an­other im­pres­sive mid­field per­for­mance, won the ball well in the cen­tre cir­cle and sent Jamie Gra­ham off on a run up the right wing. Gra­ham’s deep cross on the run looked set to pick out Donald Campbell un­til Fraser Reid came off his line well to make a clean catch.

Reid was in ac­tion again in the 42nd minute drop­ping smartly to his left to gather a low shot from Lewis Cameron af­ter a neat turn on the 18 yard line.

Mr Fol­ganan is­sued his first cau­tion of the af­ter­noon on the stroke of half-time flash­ing his yel­low card in the di­rec­tion of Lowson’s Rory Crighton for dis­sent.

Saints kicked off the sec­ond half play­ing into the wind and made a good start keeping the home side pinned back in their own half. Cameron Howie made an­other ex­cel­lent in­ter­cep­tion to thwart David Beaton rac­ing through on the end of a Donald Campbell pass as the Lowson cap­tain con­tin­ued to in­spire those around him.

The hosts equalised from deep in­side their own half from a po­si­tion of seem­ingly no dan­ger. Left full back Mark God­frey launched a wind as­sisted throw-in one yard from the touch­line al­most to the half­way line. Liam Hely hooked a di­ag­o­nal ball over the head of Scott Mait­land, who slipped, al­low­ing Rory Crighton to race in be­hind and fire an un­stop­pable shot across Gra­ham Dou­glas and into the cor­ner of the net.

With the wind at their backs this should have been the cue for the home side to seize the ini­tia­tive, how­ever, it was Saints who showed the greater re­solve and kicked on to record their 10th suc­ces­sive vic­tory of what has been a sat­is­fy­ing start to the sea­son.

De­spite en­joy­ing the lion’s share of sec­ond half pos­ses­sion Saints ini­tially failed to threaten the Lowson goal with James Ford and Daniel Croarkin pass­ing up the best of the op­por­tu­ni­ties. Croarkin made way for Matthew Kelly in the 62nd minute who was mak­ing his first ap­pear­ance since pick­ing up an in­jury in the league win at Cowan Park, Bar­rhead ten weeks pre­vi­ously.

Lowson also made changes with­draw­ing wide men Liam Hely and Rory Crighton re­plac­ing them with Straun Do­herty and Mark McIn­tosh.

A rash 66th minute chal­lenge by Jamie Gra­ham on Do­herty earned the Saints full­back the games sec­ond yel­low card with Gra­ham Dou­glas com­mand­ing his area well to claim the re­sult­ing in-swing­ing free-kick from Scott Fuller­ton.

Saints re­gained the lead in the 71st minute with Scott Mait­land pro­vid­ing the as­sist to make up for his ear­lier in­dis­cre­tion for the Lowson equaliser. Af­ter mak­ing an ex­cel­lent driv­ing run up the left, Mait­land hit the touch­line and cut­back per­fectly for Lewis Cameron ar­riv­ing at the near post to knock home from four yards.

Straight from the restart Saints stormed for­ward on the left once again and Donald Campbell was un­for­tu­nate to see a del­i­cate chip from the cor­ner of the 18-yard box clip the out­side of Fraser Reid’s left hand post and bounce be­hind for a goal kick.

Saints had their tails up now and put some day­light be­tween them­selves and their hosts in the 75th minute. James Ford and Matthew Kelly com­bined well to teeup Lewis Cameron for a shot from the left of the Lowson penalty area which flew across Fraser Reid and into the bot­tom cor­ner to seal a first hat-trick of the sea­son for Saints lead­ing goalscorer.

An­other of Saints long term in­jury vic­tims, Shaun Maciver, made his first ap­pear­ance of the sea­son com­ing on as a 78th minute re­place­ment for David Beaton.

The hosts made two fur­ther changes giv­ing run outs to Ross Sievwright and Mark McDon­ald, and ral­lied briefly forc­ing a suc­ces­sion of cor­ners which the Saints back line, with Steven MacLeod and cap­tain Dene Cas­sells at its heart, dealt with com­fort­ably.

As the clock ticked down Fraser Reid made a fin­ger­tip save div­ing to his left to deny Lewis Cameron a fourth goal af­ter good build up play in­volv­ing Donald Campbell, Matthew Kelly and Shaun MacIver.

Saints kept press­ing for­ward and it was Reid to the res­cue again in the 88th minute, ac­ro­bat­i­cally tip­ping a fierce Kerr New­big­ging strike from a Matthew Kelly lay-off over his cross­bar.

Mr Fol­ganan al­lowed a gen­er­ous amount of stop­page time be­fore bring­ing pro­ceed­ings to a close con­firm­ing a de­served Saints win over a good Lowson United side.

The vic­tory sees Saints through to the fourth round the draw for which will take place this Wed­nes­day morn­ing.

Saints have no fix­ture this week­end and will re­sume on November 17 with a West of Scot­land Cup third round visit to Kil­syth of the Cale­do­nian League.

De­ter­mi­na­tion writ­ten all over the face of Kerr New­big­ging as he wins this aerial chal­lenge with Kieran Crich­ton.

Cel­e­bra­tions af­ter Lewis Cameron’s third goal.

Lowson goal­keeper Fraser Reid saves from Lewis Cameron.

Cameron Howie makes a a good block on David Beaton’s at­tempted cross.

Lewis Cameron, No 10, knocks home Scott Mait­land’s cut back to put Saints 2-1 in front. Match re­port and pho­tos: Derek Black

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.