Out­door in­struc­tor ad­mits road crash

The Oban Times - - NEWS -

An out­door in­struc­tor’s care­less driv­ing caused his car to cross a solid white line in the mid­dle of a bend on the A82 road near Lag­gan Locks, re­sult­ing in a col­li­sion that saw him and the oc­cu­pants of the other ve­hi­cle hos­pi­talised.

At Fort Wil­liam Sher­iff Court this week, Matthew Jones, 40, who was de­scribed as now liv­ing with his par­ents in Northamp­ton, pleaded guilty to care­less driv­ing on May 27.

The court heard the ve­hi­cle com­ing in the op­po­site di­rec­tion tried to take eva­sive ac­tion but was un­able to get out of the way of Jones’s Ford Fo­cus be­cause of the steep­ness of the verge and a fence.

Procu­ra­tor Fis­cal De­pute Matthew Kerr de­scribed how Jones had to be cut free from his car by fire­fight­ers and was taken to the Raig­more Hospi­tal in In­ver­ness, while the driver and pas­sen­ger from the other car were treated at the Belford Hospi­tal in Fort Wil­liam.

Jones sus­tained frac­tures to his leg, pelvis, an­kle and arm as well as a lac­er­a­tion to the spleen.

One of those in­jured in the other car suf­fered a frac­tured an­kle and bruis­ing to a hand, with the other one suf­fer­ing bro­ken fingers and cuts to the feet.

De­fence agent Michael Lyon said his client was ‘a man wracked with guilt over the con­se­quences of his driv­ing’.

He added: ‘Mr Jones was the most se­ri­ously in­jured and his po­si­tion is that he was the per­son most de­serv­ing to be the one se­ri­ously in­jured as this was his fault.’

Mr Lyon told the court that Jones, who faces fur­ther hospi­tal op­er­a­tions as part of on-go­ing treat­ment for the in­juries he suf­fered in the smash, had been forced to re­turn home to live with his par­ents as he was not fit enough yet to re­sume work as an out­door in­struc­tor.

Sher­iff Eilidh Mac­Don­ald banned Jones from driv­ing for four months and fined him £400.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.