Shock at E coli scare in Costco store
Customers at Westhill’s Costco store were left shocked after food items were recalled due to an E coli scare.
Bosses alerted the public to the issue in a letter on Tuesday.
It stated Aberdeen Angus minced beef products, sold between September 3 and September 7, could contain the potentially deadly E coli bacteria.
The letter advised “any product that has been frozen or further processed and not been consumed should be destroyed”.
But it added that any which had been “cooked thoroughly and to a high temperature should not pose any risk to health”.
A spokesman for Broxburn-based AK Stoddart declined to
“We apologise for any inconvenience or distress”
comment, but The Press and Journal has seen the letter, signed by the supplier’s managing director, Grant Moir.
This stated: “Both the FSA England and FSS Scotland have been contacted regarding the findings and have undertaken risk assessment.
“Their advice is that if the product has been cooked thoroughly and to a high temperature it should not pose any risk.
“Any product that has been frozen or further processed and has not been consumed should be destroyed.
“We apologise for any inconvenience or distress this may have caused.”
On social media, shoppers at the Westhill store were angered by the news, with one customer encouraging others to “shop local” at butchers to avoid contamination concerns.
Craig Wilson, manager of food safety and quality assurance for Costco, described the case as “unconfirmed”.