Probe launched into blaze at site of city bar­racks

● Emer­gency ser­vices be­gin in­ves­ti­ga­tion

The Press and Journal (Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire) - - NEWS - BY DANIEL BOAL

Ajoint po­lice and fire in­ves­ti­ga­tion is un­der­way after fire tore through the former Ter­ri­to­rial Army bar­racks site in Aberdeen on Tues­day evening.

The cause is un­known and it is un­clear at this stage whether it may have been de­lib­er­ately started.

The fire, which burned for about two hours, caused sig­nif­i­cant dam­age to the

Roy Strathdee Build­ing. Thick smoke hung over the area for hours after the fire was ex­tin­guished and po­lice had to re­strict ac­cess to some streets.

Re­ports of a sec­ond fire, within the grounds of nearby Seaton Pri­mary School, proved to be a mis­un­der­stand­ing re­lat­ing to an or­gan­ised bon­fire.

Four fire crews from the Cen­tral and North An­der­son Drive sta­tions went to the scene after calls from res­i­dents and passers by at about 9pm. The first firefighte­rs were on the site within five min­utes and man­aged to put the fire out by 11.10pm.

Crews re­mained at the scene along­side po­lice of­fi­cers un­til 3.20am check­ing the build­ing and be­gin­ning in­ves­ti­ga­tions. No one was hurt. Lo­cal res­i­dent Jamie Gib­son said: “My girl­friend made me aware of the fire at about 9pm when she came in say­ing we had to call the fire bri­gade. Within two or three hours they had the fire un­der con­trol, but the thick smoke sat over the streets for hours.”

Po­lice di­verted the pub­lic away from the area after clos­ing the junc­tion from King Street to Lord Hay’s Road and Don Street.

A po­lice spokesman said: “Of­fi­cers are work­ing with Scot­tish Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice to in­ves­ti­gate a fire in Don Street, Aberdeen.

“In­quiries are on­go­ing to es­tab­lish the full cir­cum­stances.”

Pho­to­graph by Jamie Gib­son

DAM­AGE: The fire at the Roy Strathdee Build­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.