Cat­tachs top of pile after win at Clach

The Press and Journal (Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire) - - SPORT - BY ANDY SKIN­NER AT GRANT STREET PARK

Brora Rangers sur­vived a late Clach­nacud­din rally to move top of the High­land League cour­tesy of a 2-1 vic­tory at Grant Street Park.

A goal in each half from Martin Maclean and re­cent sign­ing An­drew Macrae looked to put Steven Mackay’s side in con­trol, how­ever they had to hold firm after Ali Gil­lies pulled a goal back for the Li­ly­whites 11 min­utes from time.

With Buckie This­tle’s match away to Rothes be­ing post­poned due to a wa­ter­logged pitch, Brora knew a vic­tory of any sort in In­ver­ness would send them top on goal dif­fer­ence ahead of Satur­day’s vi­tal clash against the Jags.

Brora car­ried early threat, with Dale Gille­spie float­ing a free kick over the bar and James Wal­lace send­ing a low drive wide from the edge of the box.

The Cat­tachs looked firmly in the mood and it was no sur­prise when they found a way through the home de­fence on eight min­utes, with Wal­lace work­ing the ball into the path of Martin Maclean, who curled a su­perb shot which nes­tled into tri­al­ist goal­keeper Ryan Hunter’s right hand cor­ner.

It was an early blow for Clach, whose promis­ing young winger Ross Lo­gan saw a low ef­fort com­fort­ably gath­ered by Joe Malin. Brora were keen to build on their early prom­ise though, with

Macrae send­ing a header over the bar fol­low­ing a cor­ner.

Clach goal­keeper Hunter was in fine form, twice us­ing his legs to block ef­forts from on-loan Ross County at­tacker Wal­lace, but a sec­ond goal eluded the visi­tors be­fore the break.

Brora kept up the pres­sure in the early part of the sec­ond half, how­ever Clach’s de­fence did well to limit the Cat­tachs to ef­forts from dis­tance, with Neil Mac­don­ald see­ing a thun­der­ing low drive gath­ered by Hunter, be­fore Bjorn Wa­ge­naar curled a free kick nar­rowly off tar­get.

Brora grabbed the all-im­por­tant sec­ond goal on 63 min­utes though, when the ball broke for Tom Kelly to play in Macrae, who turned be­fore calmly slot­ting past Hunter to net his first goal since his switch from For­res Me­chan­ics.

Sandy McLeod’s men were gifted a goal back on 79 min­utes when Colin Macrae’s loose header al­lowed sub­sti­tute Ali Gil­lies in on goal, with the teenager even­tu­ally squirm­ing the ball un­der the body of the rapidly ad­vanc­ing Malin.

Al­though Gille­spie was shown a sec­ond yel­low card for a chal­lenge in stop­page time, the Suther­land out­fit held on for a valu­able win.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.