Amarone reopens after huge fire
An Aberdeen restaurant has reopened a year after fire tore through the premises and forced it to close.
Italian venue Amarone has been shut since last November but will welcome customers once more this week.
Firefighters closed Union Street for more than 12 hours as they dealt with the incident, which is thought to have been caused by a tumble dryer in the basement of the building.
As many as 50 firefighters and nine appliances were used to tackle the blaze.
The premises and its neighbouring buildings were evacuated, while Langstane Place was also cordoned off.
Owners yesterday confirmed that they had taken the opportunity created by the catastrophe to completely refurbish the restaurant.
Mario Gizzi, of DiMaggio’s Restaurant Group, said: “It was a difficult decision to close the restaurant, but we felt that instead of doing a quick tidy-up to repair damage, we had the opportunity to remodel the restaurant to offer a world-class Italian eating and drinking experience.
“The designs are stunning, taking inspiration from the finest central cocktail bars in the world.
“With construction now finished, we are delighted to be reopening this week as well as taking reservations for festive dining.”
Restaurant bosses state that the reopening has created 46 full and parttime jobs in Aberdeen.
Fire tore through the restaurant last year