Dee take an­other cup scalp

Fraser­burgh fall as ju­nior side march into third con­sec­u­tive Shield fi­nal

The Press and Journal (North-East) - - CLASSIFIED - BY DAVE ED­WARDS AT SPAIN PARK

Banks o’ Dee will face For­mar­tine United in the Aberdeen­shire Shield fi­nal af­ter goals from Jack Hen­der­son, Michael Philip­son and a last minute Ryan Christie own-goal saw off the Broch chal­lenge.

Both teams fielded weak­ened start­ing line-ups due to a se­ries of in­juries, with nine of their first team squad out Banks o’ Dee were only able to field three sub­sti­tutes, one of them 40-year-old co-man­ager Jamie Watt.

The game was in doubt un­til mid-af­ter­noon when the hard frost lifted from the ar­ti­fi­cial sur­face at Spain Park.

In the sixth minute Dee cen­tre back Greg Alexan­der did well to head a dan­ger­ous ball into the box from Lewis Davidson over the top for a fruit­less corner kick.

At the other end Calum Mur­ray saw his hang­ing cross drop just over the cross­bar as the pace quick­ened.

In the 24th minute Banks o’ Dee took the lead, Kane Win­ton’s deep ball picked out Jack Hen­der­son to­tally un­marked and he drove it back across goal into the far corner of the net giv­ing Paul Leask in the visitors’ goal no chance, the opener com­ing slightly against the run of play.

But two min­utes later only a bril­liant parry from Leask stopped Hen­der­son from mak­ing it 2-0 with a su­perb back-post vol­ley as the home side looked to press home their ad­van­tage.

Ten min­utes from the break Broch broke for­ward but

Paul Campbell’s 15-yarder sailed wide of the tar­get. On the stroke of half­time the home side al­most made it 2-0 but Jamie Bu­glass’ header from a Hen­der­son cross came back off the cross­bar. Four min­utes af­ter the restart Dee keeper Vi­tali Sah­halevi­tis did well to get his foot to a Scott Bar­bour grounder. Shortly af­ter Campbell al­most grabbed an equaliser but his 20-yard drive af­ter a poor clear­ance from the Dee keeper flew past the up­right with Sah­halevi­tis scram­bling across his goal.

A minute later Banks o’ Dee dou­bled their ad­van­tage when Bu­glass sent Philip­son through and from 12 yards he drove the ball un­der the div­ing Leask.

Fraser­burgh’s mis­ery was com­pounded in the 81st minute when they were re­duced to 10 men when keeper Leask han­dled a Lachie McLeod chip just out­side the box and was shown a straight red card by ref­eree Mat Northcroft.

Dee made it 3-0 in the 90th minute when Broch cap­tain Ryan Christie turned a Jamie Watt drive into his own net but 60 sec­onds later Bar­bour grabbed a con­so­la­tion goal from close-range.

Dee co-boss Tommy Forbes

AD­VAN­TAGE: The Banks o’ Dee play­ers cel­e­brate Jack Hen­der­son’s goal against Fraser­burgh at Spain Park. Pho­to­graph by Dar­rell Benns

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.