Dea­con left red-faced by tooth­less dis­play from his Tigers

The Rugby Paper - - Premiership Rugby Cup - By ROB WILDMAN

BRETT Dea­con did not hold back af­ter a tame Leicester per­for­mance left the big home sup­port stunned.

Dea­con, the as­sis­tant coach in charge dur­ing the Premier­ship Cup, said he was em­bar­rassed by a dis­play which saw Worces­ter lead 26-0 at half-time.

Dea­con ques­tioned his team’s at­ti­tude in that first half though the in­ex­pe­ri­enced Tigers fought back in the sec­ond to dom­i­nate.

How­ever, by that stage a stronger Worces­ter team had closed out a match to win by five tries to two re­ly­ing on some glorious counter-at­tacks in the first 40. Dea­con said he was “un­be­liev­ably dis­ap­pointed” and “em­bar­rassed.”

“We did not do any­thing we spoke about in the week. Ev­ery­thing we prac­tised and did in the week did not hap­pen,” Dea­con added.

“Whether that was be­cause of the strength of the Worces­ter team, that’s prob­a­bly a big fac­tor.”

Dea­con said the half-time team talk was very sim­ple. “Ul­ti­mately, we had let ev­ery­one down and that the play­ers had to start with their own in­di­vid­ual men­tal­ity to ac­tu­ally care more.

“Noth­ing ma­jor tac­ti­cally was said, it was more on emo­tion and that we had to have a re­ac­tion.”

For Worces­ter, vic­tory com­pleted a dou­ble over Leicester this sea­son fol­low­ing a Premier­ship win 44-37. Worces­ter led 30-11 at half-time in that match but this time there were no sec­ond-half shocks fol­low­ing a first half where their counter-at­tack­ing over­pow­ered Tigers.

Wing Bryce Heem stretched away for two tries, the sec­ond be­ing the pick for his in­di­vid­ual strength in shak­ing off the Leicester de­fence in a dash down the left.

That try in the 62nd minute put paid to any hopes of a Leicester comeback fol­low­ing a first try for the Tigers from cen­tre Gareth Owen.

Sub­sti­tute Tommy Ref­fell shot over for a sec­ond Leicester try in the 67th but Worces­ter fin­ished camped on the Leicester line un­able to force their way over.

It had been a dif­fer­ent mat­ter in the first half when Worces­ter sliced open the Tigers de­fence when­ever they moved the ball wide. It was just too easy at times.

Ted Hill, fresh from the Eng­land train­ing camp in Por­tu­gal, grabbed the first af­ter Worces­ter had quickly es­tab­lished con­trol fol­low­ing No.8 Fred Tuilagi drop­ping the kick off to give the vis­i­tors the im­me­di­ate ad­van­tage.

Worces­ter’s sec­ond try demon­strated their speed out­wide as Perry Humphreys put fly-half Dun­can Weir in the clear.

In be­tween the two tries Leicester had mounted one good at­tack when Tom Hard­wick forged his way past Hill in mid­field.

Fran­cois Hougaard, who scam­pered away for Worces­ter’s third try in the 15th minute, pulled off a try-sav­ing tackle on the 22me­tre line.

Leicester had some de­cent spells of pos­ses­sion in the first half but their ball re­ten­tion was poor and Worces­ter fed off mis­takes to launch pun­ish­ing counter-at­tacks. The fourth try high­lighted that su­pe­ri­or­ity end­ing in a try for the im­pres­sive Heem.

The sec­ond half did not bring the same en­ter­tain­ment though there was a more fa­mil­iar Leicester per­for­mance and Worces­ter had to de­fend fiercely when re­duced to 13 men af­ter sin bins for An­ton Bresler and Dar­ren Barry.

PIC­TURE: Getty Im­ages

Happy days: Fran­cois Hougaard scores Worces­ter’s third try

Slid­ing home: Tommy Ref­fell scores for Leicester Tigers

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.