Jan keen for more as Ch­ester climb­ing

Ch­ester ................ 33pts Tynedale .............. 22pts

The Rugby Paper - - Feature | National League 2 North - By STEVE SMITH

CH­ESTER took ad­van­tage of their game in hand to move up to sec­ond in Na­tional League 2 North with an im­pres­sive bonus­point tri­umph against Tynedale at Hare Lane.

Two first-half tries gave the hosts a 14-3 lead be­fore three fur­ther scores saw Ch­ester pick up yet an­other bonus-point tri­umph, which pleased Jan van Deven­ter, though he claims there is more to come.

“We were very good in de­fence in the first half and we took our chances well through­out to get the max­i­mum five points,” said the head coach.

“There is still a lot to work on and it’s dis­ap­point­ing we made a few mis­takes late in the game, but we did enough to get the vic­tory and we can take a lot of con­fi­dence from this per­for­mance.

“The last 18-20 months at home have been ex­cep­tional – we’ve only lost three games here since De­cem­ber 2016, which is in­cred­i­ble.”

It was the visi­tors who opened the scor­ing with fly­half Jake Rodgers fir­ing over an early penalty from in front of the posts.

Tries from flanker Shay Owen and scrum-half Joshua Mor­ris, both con­verted by in­side cen­tre James Robins, put the hosts 14-3 up halfway through the open­ing 40.

A third try for Ch­ester from winger Sean Green, which was cre­ated and con­verted by star man Robins, gave the in-form home side a healthy 21-3 ad­van­tage at the break.

And it took the hosts just four min­utes to add their bonus-point score af­ter the in­ter­val.

Winger Matthew van Ser­tima dived over the white­wash be­fore Robins again con­fi­dently added the ex­tras for 28-3.

Quick­fire tries from Tynedale for­wards Ben Wilkin­son and David Batey, both con­verted by Rodgers, re­duced the deficit but Ch­ester pulled clear when re­place­ment Richard Craven dived over for a de­ci­sive un­con­verted score with ten min­utes to go, at 33-15.

The visi­tors did score a third try through lock Chris Wear­mouth af­ter a missed tackle, again con­verted by Rodgers, but with just five min­utes left on the clock, it was too lit­tle too late.

The re­sult left Tynedale’s di­rec­tor of rugby Ben Woods un­der­stand­ably frus­trated as his team failed to be clin­i­cal when in pos­ses­sion.

“We are frus­trated that we couldn’t turn more of our op­por­tu­ni­ties in the first half into points and be­cause of that, we have too much of a moun­tain to climb in the sec­ond half,” he ex­plained.

“We made too many er­rors in the game and they pun­ished us ev­ery time, so fair play to them for tak­ing their chances – they're a very good side.

“We will try our best this week to put ev­ery­thing right as we have two very im­por­tant games com­ing up against Mac­cles­field and Leices­ter Lions.

“But we will have to be bet­ter than we were here – it’s sim­ple as that.”

PIC­TURE: Gareth Lyons

He’s over: Richard Craven runs in a try for Ch­ester

Strong: Ben Wilkin­son scores for Tynedale

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.