Le­ices­ter pile more mis­ery on limp Li­ons

Le­ices­ter L .......... 35pts Peter­bor­ough L 17pts

The Rugby Paper - - National League 2 North - By ROSS BAR­NETT

IT re­quires guts and de­ter­mi­na­tion to suc­ceed in win­ter and Le­ices­ter Li­ons head coach Andy Key in­sists he has that in spades af­ter his men snapped a two-game los­ing streak against base­ment club Peter­bor­ough Li­ons.

Ed Sumpter, Thomas Aviss, Devon Con­stant and Ben­jamin Spokes all crossed, while there was also a penalty try for Le­ices­ter in their hand­some win.

Third from bot­tom head­ing into the con­test, Key knew his men needed a win. Los­ing to a Peter­bor­ough side just ten points be­low them was not an op­tion.

“I’m pleased with the ef­fort that the boys put in,” Key said.

“When­ever any side is com­ing off the back of two losses it can be chal­leng­ing to get the mind­set right.

“I thought our de­fence was re­ally good as well as the way we wanted to con­trol the game.

“They had a pow­er­ful maul and we knew that if we could take that away from them then we’d be do­ing well.

“Credit must go to them how­ever as they stuck in there and didn’t make it easy for us.”

Le­ices­ter were first on the board af­ter a gal­lop­ing run from lock Sumpter, which re­sulted in him crash­ing over.

Peter­bor­ough re­sponded im­me­di­ately. A se­ries of mauls re­sulted in penal­ties for the away side which al­lowed them posses­sion in Le­ices­ter 22. The ball was kept tight and Danny Hartwell squeezed over.

Scrum-half Aviss’ ea­ger­ness for a fast-paced game paid off when he took a penalty quickly and had enough gas to get over from mid­way in­side the Peter­bor­ough half.

Le­ices­ter ex­tended their lead af­ter be­ing awarded a penalty try for a last-ditch high tackle from Allen Carr on Alex Wil­cock­son. The left wing was sent to the bin.

Ben­jamin Young added a penalty af­ter pres­sure on the Le­ices­ter line two min­utes be­fore Carr re­turned to the field.

How­ever, the bonus point was se­cured for Le­ices­ter on the half-time whis­tle. Con­stant found an over­lap on the left wing and beat three de­fend­ers to power over in the cor­ner.

Le­ices­ter started the sec­ond half as they left off in the first. Spokes dot­ted down af­ter a pow­er­ful surge from the Li­ons pack.

The away side had the ma­jor­ity of posses­sion in the last ten min­utes of the match and kept plug­ging away through their for­wards. Ross Her­bert and Dan Martin led from the from the front in de­fence be­fore Ethan Gode­froy was sent to the bin for re­peated in­fringe­ments.

Nick De­feo grabbed a con­so­la­tion try with two min­utes to go which was a re­ward for their ef­fort.

Peter­bor­ough head coach, Vil­iami Ma’asi said: “It’s tough for the boys. We were hop­ing to per­form and try to be con­sis­tent away from home but un­for­tu­nately we started slow again. We came back in the sec­ond half but they must take credit.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.