Record-break­ing dou­ble

Dave Camp­bell re­ports on a thrilling fi­nale to the 2018/19 sea­son Smith’s men lift sil­ver­ware

The Scarborough News - - WELCOME TO YOUR NEWS - BY DAVE CAMP­BELL­ Twit­ter: @Camp­bell­rugby

Scar­bor­ough com­pleted a record-break­ing dou­ble de­feat­ing Old Rish­wor­thi­ans in the York­shire Chal­lenge Shield.



Scar­bor­ough com­pleted a record-break­ing league and cup dou­ble after de­feat­ing Old Rish­wor­thi­ans 41-27 in the fi­nal of the York­shire Chal­lenge Shield.

In front of a huge turnout where Scar­bor­ough sup­port­ers were very much in the ma­jor­ity, Rish had the better of the early for­ward ex­changes and took a 3-0 lead in the fifth minute when fly-half Josh Kelly kicked a penalty from the Scar­bor­ough 10-me­tre line.

Look­ing much the more pos­i­tive side, Scar­bor­ough were not to be de­nied for long and a sweep­ing move started by cen­tre Billy Parker ended with flanker Aaron Wilson send­ing left-winger Harry Domett over in the ninth minute.

Stand-off Tom Rat­cliffe con­verted for 7-3.

The Seasiders were buzzing and bustling breaks by hooker Sam Daw­son, cen­tre James Per­rett and full-back Tom Har­ri­son tested the west York­shire­men’s re­solve.

How­ever the next Scar­bor­ough score came fol­low­ing a five-me­tre scrum wide on the right.

From his own put-in, Rish scrum-half Joe Billing hes­i­tated at the base and his op­po­site num­ber Jor­dan Wake­ham nipped in to score in the 16th minute.

Rat­cliffe’s touch­line con­ver­sion dis­sected the up­rights for a 14-3 lead.

Scar­bor­ough in­fringed fol­low­ing Old Rish­wor­thi­ans’ re-start and fol­low­ing a pe­riod camped on the Seasiders line, hooker Chris Stone barged over in the 19th minute.

Kelly added the ex­tras to cut the ar­rears to four points at 14-10.

Skip­per Matty Jones’ men con­tin­ued to play all the pos­i­tive rugby against a side whose main tac­tic when in pos­ses­sion in their own half was to hoof the ball as far down­field as pos­si­ble.

It was there­fore no sur­prise when the men from Sil­ver Royd stretched their

lead, right-wing Matty Young acted swiftly to cap­i­talise on Rish­wor­thi­ans’ in­de­ci­sion on their own line to kick on and di­ve­in­fora­su­per­bop­por­tunist try in the 24th minute.

Rat­cliffe just missed the kick but Scar­bor­ough led 1910.

Matty Jones was taken out in mid-air field­ing the restart and the mis­cre­ant was sin-binned for his trou­ble.

Some slick-han­dling rugby from Scar­bor­ough was thwarted as sev­eral fi­nal passes failed to find their man, but a pow­er­ful, surg­ing break by Parker ini­ti­ated a flow­ing move and Per­rett re­leased num­ber-eight Ben Martin to cross wide on the left, then cut in and ground be­tween the up­rights in the 39th minute.

Rat­cliffe con­verted for a 2610 in­ter­val lead.

The start of the sec­ond half was pretty un­event­ful as Old Rish­wor­thi­ans con­tin­ued to play with a lack of am­bi­tion which seemed strange for a cup fi­nal.

Even kick­ing a free-kick to touch and hand­ing pos­ses­sion back to Scar­bor­ough at the sub­se­quent line-out.

It was no sur­prise then when Scar­bor­ough stretched their lead just be­fore the hour. Har­ri­son chipped over a flat de­fence, but the bounce eluded him only to be gath­ered by Per­rett, who sprinted away to score be­tween the posts in the 59th minute.

Rat­cliffe con­verted for 3310. Game, set and match to Scar­bor­ough? Not a bit of it.

At last the men from Calderdale woke up and gave it a real go, start­ing with wing man An­thony Shoe smith scor­ing wide on the left in the 61 st minute to re­duce the ar­rears at 33-15.

The Seasiders then lost the ser­vices of lock for­wards Matty Ox­toby and Phil Wat­son, who were sin-binned for in­fringe­ments de­fend­ing near their own line in the 64th and 65th min­utes.

This was fol­lowed by a yel­low card for Jor­dan Wake­ham and it was game on.

And when the 12 men of Scar­bor­ough ran out of defenders in the 70th minute, Rish­wor­thi­ans went over once more from close-range.

Kelly un­char­ac­ter­is­ti­cally missed his sec­ond con­sec­u­tive con­ver­sion, but it was now a 33-20 game.

And even with Ox­toby back on, the 13-man Seasiders strug­gled against their resur­gent op­po­nents and the agony was fur­ther piled on when, fol­low­ing a mas­sive de­fen­sive ef­fort in­clud­ing out­stand­ing work by back-row­ers Aaron Wilson, Drew Govier and Ben Martin, Rish­wor­thi­ans squeezed over from close range.

Kelly con­verted for 33-27 in the 77th minute, three min­utes to go and less than a con­verted try be­tween the sides.

How­ever, with all three play­ers out of the sin-bin, Scar­bor­ough took con­trol and re­gained their shape and com­po­sure in the fi­nal few min­utes.

Rat­cliffe slot­ted a penalty in the 78th minute to stretch the lead to 36-27, be­fore the peer­less Paul Tay­lor on at tight-head prop, out-foxed a tir­ing Rish de­fence to touch­down in the right cor­ner in in­jury time for an unas­sail­able 41-27 lead.

Rat­cliffe missed the con­ver­sion with the fi­nal kick of the game but his team­mates had al­ready started the party.

From left, coach Si­mon Smith, skip­per Matty Jones, re­porter Dave Camp­bell, Tom Rat­cliffe and Tom Har­ri­son cel­e­brate win­ning the York­shire Shield Pic­tures by Andy Stand­ing

Matty Ox­toby holds aloft the York­shire Shield

Euan Govier and Jonty Hol­loway show off the sil­ver­ware

Matty Young (above) and James Per­rett (be­low) at­tack the Old Rish­wor­thi­ans line

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.