The Scarborough News

Winters grabs brace as Raiders seal win


A double from super-sub James Winters helped Newlands Park Raiders to a 6-0 win at home to Kirkbymoor­side.

The Raiders piled on the pressure from the kick-off, but it took until the 15th minute to take the lead, a through-ball from Elliot Duck finding lone striker Chris Fenton, and he ran from the halfway line and finished adeptly.

The second goal came just before half-time, Sommie Lazim’s pass setting Donnie Lee free to rifle the second goal into the roof of the net beyond the grasp of the Kirkby goalkeeper.

Lazim then made it 3-0 early in the second half with a neat strike, and sub Winters added a fourth from the spot to seal the win.

Fellow sub Bevan Henry burst through the Kirkby defence to add a fifth goal.

The Raiders saved the best until last when Winters smashed an unstoppabl­e shot into the top corner stanchion from 20 yards out, the ball flying down, over the line and into the net.

The man of the match award was shared by left-back Matty Balfour and central midfielder Elliot Woodall, as both put in superb hard-working performanc­es.

Ayton Athletic under-14s edged out Scalby in a five-goal thriller.

Ayton created most of the early chances and it was no surprise when PJ Forbes clipped in for 1-0.

Scalby kept their heads with keeper Max Tadman outstandin­g between the sticks and fashioned a superb equaliser, Eric Hall breaking the offside trap to hammer home.

Early in the second half Ayton took command of the game, scoring twice in the space of five minutes.

Thomas MacDonald was the creator of both, causing havoc down the Scalby left he set up both Sam Farley and Adam Dennis to make it 3-1.

Scalby found their second wind and created a number of chances, and although Hall smashed in another 25-yarder, the home side held on for the win.

Scalby under-13s proved to be just a little bit too strong for a resilient Seamer side.

Jake Reeves swept home the cross to put Scalby ahead but just five minutes later Jamie Hilton latched onto a through-ball and calmly slotted the ball home to equalise for Seamer.

Scalby restored their lead as Marcus O’Flanagan collected a Louis Kille through-ball and found the bottom corner to ensure Scalby held a 2-1 lead at the break.

Ten minutes into the second period Tyler Smith burst down the wing and put in a cross that deceived the Seamer goalkeeper to make it 3-1.

Another Kille through ball found Ted Edwards, who was pulled back by a Seamer defender and Edwards slotted the penalty-kick home himself.

Scalby’s final goal came from their leading scorer Reuben Staveley, after fine play from Owen Lambert and Liam Coulson created the chance for the striker to volley home with a neat finish making it 5-1.

There was still time for Seamer to get a late consolatio­n goal after Hilton was fouled by a Scalby defender in the area and the energetic Danny Hill stepped to to slot the penalty in.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom