The Scarborough News

Fylingdale­s Reserves pull off cup shock to dump out Itis Itis

Second division Fylingdale­s Reserves pulled off a shock 4-2 success at top-flight Itis Itis United in the Kenward Cup.


Lewis Peel gave the youthful visitors the lead and Dan Richardson soon doubled this advantage to leave James Prethero’s team chasing the game in the first half.

United gave themselves hope with a Zac Hansen strike before half-time and when Chris Hannam levelled on the hour mark it looked like the hosts would secure the win.

But a ‘Dales side which included two 16-year-olds and five 17-year-olds, refused to submit and restored their lead through Zac Estill, and Dan Smith confirmed their place in the next round.

Keeper Dave Smith was the man of the match for the villagers, while James Young was the star man for United.

Commercial keeper Ash Buck was the hero as his side won a dramatic encounter at home to second division strugglers Newlands Reserves 4-3 on penalties after the scores had been tied at 3-3 after extra-time.

Buck saved four spot-kicks and scored the winner in a shoot-out where both sides missed four of their first five penalties.

For Commercial, Joe Bayes missed, then Stu Wallace scored, followed by misses for Jamie Millar, Adrian Kiatkowski and Chris Rooke.

In sudden death, the hosts kept their cool with Neil Forsyth, Shaun Bayes and then Buck taking them to victory.

Earlier, strikes from Joe Bayes and Wallace had put the hosts in front, but Newlands drew level with a goal either side of the interval.

Louis Hird looked to have sealed the win for Commercial, who then had two goals disallowed before the visitors levelled with the last kick of the game.

With the hosts reduced to nine men for extra-time, as Hird and Luke Chambers had to leave early due to work and they had used their sub earlier on, they hung on for penalties and finally overcame a plucky Newlands side.

Heslerton edged through 5-4 on penalties after having to work hard 3-3 at home to second division side Cayton

Corinthian­s, who also played extra-time with only nine men.

A Danny Collins double in the opening 10 minutes got the visitors off to a flying start, but Dan Blanchard’s strike gave Heslerton hope.

A 25-yard free-kick from David Thompson made it 2-2, then a stunning 30-yard strike from Josh Beach put Heslerton in front before the interval.

Cayton refused to buckle and drew level early in the second half through a Corey Towell effort, but when player-boss Jonny Best was dismissed for a second caution midway through the second half the odds were against an away win.

Heslerton piled on the pressure but Cayton defended superbly, and due to injury they were reduced to nine men for extra-time but still held on for the penalty shootout.

Billy Bown scored from the spot for Heslerton, and although Gareth Driver hit the post, further successful efforts from Beach, Mikey Webster, Mike Clark and Tony Cass secured the win for the hosts as Cayton missed two of their penalties.

Heslerton boss Dean Storry said: “I feel sorry for Cayton as they started really well and I couldn’t see us coming back, but the lads fought back well and we deserved it in the end.

“The whole team deserves a share of the man of the match award as they dug deep throughout the 120 minutes.”

Cayton’s Damon Cook echoed Storry’s sentiments, saying: “I am so proud of the way that the lads played especially when reduced to 10 and then nine men.”

Trafalgar hit back from 1-0 down to claim a 7-2 win in the Scarboroug­h FA Sunday Cup at Division One rivals West Pier.

Sam Garnett put Pier in front but a Neil Thomas freekick levelled the scores and central midfielder Gary Thomas made it 2-1 before halftime.

Neil and Gary Thomas scored a goal apiece to give Traf some breathing space in the second half, and sub Alex Sheader and Kurtis Henderson then struck to make it 6-2.

Martin Cooper pulled a goal back for the hosts but Chris Dove rounded off the scoring for the away team.

Neil Thomas was named as the Traf man of the match for a fine game up front.

Adam Entwhistle scored four as Division One side

Whitby Wanderers battled to a 6-3 home win against

Barrowclif­f Reserves.

A James Landers free-kick and a strike from Entwhistle put Wanderers 2-0 up, but James Galashan pulled a goal back for ‘Cliff.

Entwhistle then made it 3-1 but a well-worked move saw Joe Sunter head in at the far post to keep the visitors in the tie.

Striker Entwhistle completed his hat-trick to make it 4-2 after the break and Whitby’s man of the match Sam Cornforth added a fifth before Adam Martin rounded off another fine Barrowclif­f move to give them hope.

Entwhistle then hit his fourth to secure the win for the hosts.

Right-back Ryan Goodworth and right-sided midfielder Aiden Cooper shared the man of the match award for the away side.

 ??  ?? A Newlands man tries to stave off the attentions of a Commercial opponent
A Newlands man tries to stave off the attentions of a Commercial opponent
 ??  ?? Commercial and Newlands Park Reserves do battle for possession
Commercial and Newlands Park Reserves do battle for possession
 ??  ?? Newlands Reserves’ Dean Andrews prepares to launch a counter-attack
Newlands Reserves’ Dean Andrews prepares to launch a counter-attack
 ??  ?? Park midfielder Andrews keeps his eye on the ball
Park midfielder Andrews keeps his eye on the ball

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom