Coul­son penalty sinks Bridge

A last-gasp Michael Coul­son penalty wrapped up a fine 3-2 vic­tory for Scar­bor­ough Ath­letic on the road at Staly­bridge Celtic on Tues­day night.

The Scarborough News - - NEWS - By Martin Dowey Twit­ter: @Mj­dowey

A last-gasp penalty wrapped up a 3-2 vic­tory for Scar­bor­ough Ath­letic on the road at Staly­bridge Celtic on Tues­day night.

De­spite suf­fer­ing from a bout of nerves be­fore tak­ing the spot­kick, Coul­son did the job and sealed a su­perb win.

He said: “I was def­i­nitely feel­ing it, that was prob­a­bly the most ner­vous I’ve ever felt in foot­ball.

“It was 2-2 and in the last minute with a lot rid­ing on it, so it was a mas­sive re­lief to see it creep over the line.

“The keeper did me a bit of a favour, but they all count.

“I’ve been un­lucky re­cently, with balls hit­ting the post and all that kind of thing, so it is nice to fi­nally get one.

“We should have had it sewn up by then, but we nicked it and that is all that mat­ters.”

One change was made from the win­ning side from Satur­day, as Leon Scott came in for James Cad­man, and Boro looked to con­tinue their pos­i­tiv­ity with a bright start.

All they man­aged from their early con­trol was a Coul­son shot, which was palmed into the air by keeper James Aspinall.

James Wal­shaw and Nathan Valen­tine both went for the re­bound and af­ter it bounced off the post and to safety they were left in a crum­pled heap fol­low­ing a clash of heads.

Staly­bridge be­gan to creep more and more into things, with much of their live­lier play go­ing through full-back Scott Wil­son.

It was Wil­son who grabbed the open­ing goal in for­tu­nate fash­ion on 25 min­utes when Bai­ley Gooda cleared the ball straight at his midriff. Wil­son lobbed into the path of Matty Wolfenden and then took the re­turn ball to slot home.

With Boro look­ing to hit straight back, W al shaw sneaked into some space in the home area,but his lobs truck the bar and bounced to safety.

It was that man Wal­shaw who lev­elled things up just be­fore the break af­ter a huge flap from keeper As pin all. He put the ball straight on the head Boro’s top-score rand W al shaw looped home bril­liantly.

Staly­bridge set out smartly in the se­cond half, caus­ing Boro a cou­ple of con­cern­ing sec­onds, but af­ter soak­ing up this pres­sure, Boro struck for a se­cond time.

De­light­ful link-up between Walsh aw and Coul son fed Valen­tinein the box and he con­trolled his vol­ley su­perbly to steer it into the bot­tom cor­ner.

Boro keeper Tommy Tay­lor pro­duced a fine stop from Ross Dent as Staly­bridge tried to re­store par­ity, then Bai­ley Gooda had to clear off his line when Li am Tongue hooked an ac­ro­batic ef­fort on goal.

In the end it was a string of er­rors that al­lowed Staly­bridge in for the lev­el­ling goal. Scott gave the ball away and Mer­ris failed to deal with the re­sult­ing ball out wide. From there Scott Bakkor whipped in a cross that Wolfenden poked home.

With Staly­bridge look­ing to nick the win­ner in the dy­ing em­bers, it was B or ow ho charged clear and grabbed the con­tro­ver­sial win­ner.

Wayne Brooks by darted into the box and looked to have han­dled be­fore he was felled by Niall Flint.

Af­ter de­lib­er­a­tion among the of­fi­cials, Coul­son was in­vited for­ward to slot home the win­ner.

James Wal­shaw cel­e­brates his goal at Staly­brid­geon Tues­day

Wal­shaw wins a header in the bat­tling 3-2 suc­cess

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.