Fish and chip shop gut­ted in blaze

Shop owner says thank you to fire ser­vice

The Scarborough News - - NEWS - By Martina Moscariello Twit­ter: @m__­moscariello

The owner of a Scar­bor­ough fish and chip shop that was gut­ted by fire thinks the cause might be con­nected to elec­tri­cal works in the road.

The owner of a fish and chip shop which was gut­ted by a blaze has thanked the fire ser­vice for their prompt re­sponse.

A ma­jor blaze broke out at Hanover Road Fish and Chips in Scar­bor­ough on Fri­day af­ter­noon.

Scar­bor­ough and Filey ap­pli­ances re­sponded to the in­ci­dent shortly af­ter 3.30pm and the road was closed on both sides.

An eye-wit­ness de­scribed win­dows be­ing smashed and smoke com­ing out. They said the in­side looked “gut­ted”.

Ear­lier that day the fish and chip shop had been pre­sented with a cer­tifi­cate for win­ning sec­ond place in The Scar­bor­ough News’ Chip Shop of the Year com­pe­ti­tion.

Owner Will Miller said: “I had been in the shop an hour and a half be­fore to re­ceive the award. I left for lunch and then I got a call. It was dev­as­tat­ing to see the flames, not just for my fam­ily but for the peo­ple that work­there.Iem­ployed­fivestaff. Un­for­tu­nately we’ll have to look for a new job now.”

Although ex­ten­sive dam­age was caused to the fry­ing range and ground floor of the build­ing, firefighters put out the fire in just over half an hour.

Mr Miller added: “We would like to thank the firefighters and all in­volved who put out the fire as quickly as pos­si­ble be­fore any­body got hurt or the fire spread. We would also like to thank all of our loyal cus­tomers and ev­ery­body who has of­fered to help in any way, the sup­port we have re­ceived is fan­tas­tic and we are very grate­ful to ev­ery­body.”

North York­shire Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice said the blaze was caused by an elec­tri­cal fault. Mr Miller be­lieves this might have been trig­gered by the elec­tri­cal works that took place along the road a few weeks ago.

The Scar­bor­ough News will ar­range a pre­sen­ta­tion to award a new cer­tifi­cate to the shop.

Photo by Al­lan Char­ter

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.