The Scarborough News
Home to ‘Muni’ and Boys’ High
The building which housed the former college campus was opened in 1902 and was called the Municipal School, or ‘The Muni’ by the locals. It was designed by notable architect Edwin Cooper and contains intricate relief panels by the sculptor Henry Charles Fehr.
It was the Scarborough High School for Boys from 1922 to 1959 until the Boys’ High moved to near the hospital, occupying the site of what is now Graham School.
In 1976, part of what was then Westwood County Modern School was converted to become the Stephen Joseph Theatre. The theatre at Westwood opened with a revival of Alan Ayckbourn’s Mr Whatnot on October 26 1976.
Famous alumni of Westwood include novelist Storm Jameson and author Leo Walmsley.