Goal­keeper Fife is Hibs’ hero as Ed­in­burgh side claim SWPL Cup on penal­ties

The Scotsman - - WEEKEND SPORT - By At Penny Cars Stadium

Hiber­nian goal­keeper Jenna Fife saved twice in the penalty shoot- out to help win her side a fourth suc­ces­sive SWPL Cup at the Penny Cars Stadium. She dived t wice to her right to save from Hay­ley Lauder and Clare Shine, who took the sec­ond and t hird Glas­gow City kicks.

There were no places for Lee Alexan­der and Jo Love in the Cit y line - up, both Scot­land play­ers be­ing on the bench. Scott Booth has been play­ing young re­serve goal­keeper Erin Clach­ers in the cup games, while Love has a nig­gle and wasn’t risked for a start.

Hibs brought in cap­tain Joelle Mur­ray, vice- cap­tain Rachael Small and mid­fielder Amy Gallacher from the side which had lost 3- 0 to Celtic on Sun­day but could have found them­selves a goal down af­ter only two min­utes.

A Leanne Ross cross was brought down by Shine and the Ir­ish striker had only Fife to beat – but the Hibs goal­keeper made a dou­ble save to deny her.

City con­tin­ued to be the more threat­en­ing side, but the longer the half went on the more Hibs as­serted them­selves and they had the best of the lim­ited chances be­fore the in­ter­val.

Clach­ers made com­fort­able saves from Kirsten Reilly and Jamie- Lee Napier, and t he cl os­est t he Ed­in­burgh side got to scor­ing was when Small’s header from a Co­lette Ca­vanagh cross top of the net.

City started the sec­ond half

f ound

t he the brighter, as they had done the first and Me­gan Fo­ley had a shot de­flected just wide for a cor­ner – but it was Hibs who were ag­grieved when what looked like a goal was dis­all owed. Clach­ers at­tempted to roll the ball out near the edge of her box but Gallacher closed in and her to get a touch which di­rected the ball to­wards Small.

The Hibs mid­fielder lobbed the keeper and put the ball in the net – but ref­eree Gary Han­vidge ap­peared to de­cide that Clach­ers had been fouled as she re­leased the ball.

It looked a con­tentious call and the of­fi­cial then ruled out City penalty claims at the other end af­ter Ni­cola Docherty went down just in­side the box. Again, it looked a close one.

With the clock run­ning down the game re­ally opened up, but nei­ther side could pre­vent the game go­ing to ex­tra- time and when that pat­tern con­tin­ued it was in­evitable the game would be de­cided by penal­ties.


Subs: not used:


not used:

0 Jenna Fife saved two spot­kicks in the shootout.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.