The Scotsman

Queen still ‘busy’ in spite of palace isolation

- By AINE FOX

The Queen continues to be “busy” while she remains at Windsor Castle during the coronaviru­s pandemic, a spokeswoma­n said, following a report she could stay withdrawn from public life for months.

The monarch has already been at her Berkshire residence for almost eight weeks, having moved there from Buckingham Palace in March, and spent her 94th birthday in lockdown on 21 April.

While following the guidance on remaining safe, she is still working, conducting a weekly audience with the Prime Minister by phone and receiving her daily red boxes of Government papers, an official said. A spokeswoma­n for Buckingham Palace said: “The Queen continues to be busy and will follow appropriat­e advice on engagement­s.”

It has been reported the Queen will withdraw from public life for months in what has been touted as the longest absence from official duties in her long reign.

The Queen, who is at Windsor with the Duke of Edinburgh and a reduced household, has made two televised speeches and one audio address to the nation since the lockdown.

She made a speech to the country on 5 April, when she delivered a message of hope, saying if we remained resolute in the face of the outbreak “we will overcome it”.

The Queen delivered what was believed to be her first Easter address last month throughana­udiomessag­eand on Friday she gave a poignant message to mark the 75th anniversar­y of VE Day, praising the nation’s response to the coronaviru­s outbreak.

 ??  ?? 0 The Queen may withdraw from public life for months
0 The Queen may withdraw from public life for months

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom