The Sunday Post (Dundee)

Gray seals win as Clarets sink Reds

BURNLEY 2 Vokes 2, Gray 37 LIVERPOOL 0

- Carl Markham

BURNLEY burst Liverpool’s early-season bubble with a victory which proved you do not need to have much of the ball to be effective.

The Clarets converted two of their three shots on target, with Sam Vokes grabbing his first Premier League goal inside two minutes and Andre Gray doubling the lead before half-time.

There was no rousing comeback from Liverpool like the one they produced last weekend at Arsenal to win 4-3 after going behind and, despite dominating possession, they never looked like scoring.

That was partly down to their hosts’ dogged determinat­ion to hold on to their lead but largely due to a lack of cohesion and penetratio­n in the final third.

Jurgen Klopp’s side were laboured in their build-up, particular­ly in the first half. They were punished after just 98 seconds when Ragnar Klavan’s crossfield pass posed some difficulty for Nathaniel Clyne and he gave the ball away, with Gray quick to pick out Vokes who turned to smash home from the edge of the penalty area.

The Wales internatio­nal, who scored Burnley’s first Premier League goal against Liverpool – and their first in the league in six matches – took his chance well.

Liverpool proceeded to huff and puff through midfield into the final third with very little energy or dynamism, and even less reward.

Striker Daniel Sturridge – making his first appearance of the season after a hip injury ruled him out last weekend – played in a predominan­tly right-sided forward role and did not get his first sight of goal until the half-hour when he drilled wide of the far post. The England internatio­nal’s next contributi­on, seven minutes before the break, was more devastatin­g – but for all the wrong reasons as he lost possession on the edge of Burnley’s penalty area, which led to the second goal.

However, he was not solely to blame as Klavan missed his challenge on the charging Steven Defour – the Clarets’ club-record signing making his debut – and Gray easily skipped past weak

tackles from Dejan Lovren and the recovering Klavan to stroke past Simon Mignolet. The last time Burnley scored more than one against Liverpool was in 1973 – a run of 20 matches – but they are a different team now and it was no more than they deserved.

Midfielder James Milner, who replaced the under-fire Alberto Moreno, looked understand­ably uncomforta­ble as a stand-in leftback, but the problems were further upfield, where an ineffectiv­e midfield failed to make the most of their possession.

Burnley, by contrast, were more efficient and clinical with the ball, and patient, tenacious and committed without it. The statistics showed Liverpool had 81% possession and attempted 24 shots, but with only five on target and none which really troubled Tom Heaton. Marko Grujic, a late substitute for Adam Lallana, forced Heaton into his first real save in the 79th minute, but Burnley ran out comfortabl­e winners.

Sean Dyche’s side are up and running with their first points of the season. For Klopp, it is back to the drawing board.

 ??  ?? Andre Gray fires Burnley into a two-goal lead.
Andre Gray fires Burnley into a two-goal lead.
 ??  ?? Burnley’s George Boyd, right, gets the better of Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson.
Burnley’s George Boyd, right, gets the better of Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom