The Sunday Post (Dundee)

Boss proud of his record-breakers



AlloA boss Jack Ross was delighted with his side’s record- breaking run of eight wins in a row.

He said: “We played well and deserved the win. This was a hard game for us and to get the victory and set a record is something the boys should be proud of.”

Alloa came close in the opening minute when an Allan Waters corner fell at the feet of Iain Flannigan but his fierce shot was cleared by Kevin Smith on the visitors sixyard line.

In the 35th minute, Alloa went ahead when Iain Flannigan bent a 25-yard free-kick over the East Fife defence and into the top left corner.

Alloa extended their lead five minutes later when Greig Spence ran onto a poor backpass, rounded the keeper and slotted home.

East Fife sub Kevin O’Hara scored a consolatio­n when he headed home in the 89th minute.


STRANRAER had a great chance to open the scoring in eight minutes but Craig Malcolm’s header went straight to Airdrie keeper Rohan Ferguson.

Airdrie’s first threatenin­g moment came when trialist Jack Leitch curled the ball wide.

A free-kick in 20 minutes by Ryan Conroy was turned away by visiting keeper Cameron Belford.

Soon after, Willie Gibson’s cross looked netbound until Ferguson pushed the ball on to the bar.

Airdrie took the lead in 26 minutes after Andy Ryan ran in to bury the ball beyond Belford.

On the interval, Stranraer Mark McGuigan headed against the bar.

In the second half, Stranraer’s Malcolm saw a penalty saved by Ferguson.


ALBION were the first to threaten when a slip at the back by Peterhead defender Ryan Baptie let in Paul Willis but he shot over.

At the other end, Jordan Brown turned and shot but his effort was deflected out for a corner.

Albion’s Stewart forced home goalie Hobday into action with a tremendous effort from 25 yards.

Against the run of play, the Blue Toon took the lead. Rory McAllister was fouled just outside the area and Baptie netted low into the bottom left corner.

It looked like game over in the 60th minute, McAllister showing some magic to chest the ball down then finish with a volley between goalkeeper and post.

But back came Albion and Ross Stewart blasted the goal they deserved after a couple of shots had been blocked in the 64th minute.

Ten minutes later it was all square, Willis crossing from the left side of the penalty area and Stewart slid in his brace.


THE destiny of the three points was decided in the opening quarter of a thoroughly one-sided game.

Livi were already 2-0 up by that stage thanks to Danny Mullen’s close-range finish and a sublime 20-yarder from Scott Pittman.

Former Livingston striker Colin McMenamin had a half-hearted penalty claim turned down shortly before half-time.

After the interval, Mullen soon made it 3-0 with another clinical tap-in.

Full-back Jackson Longridge beat McCabe again with an angled drive in the 78th minute.

McMenamin’s last-gasp penalty made no difference as the home side knocked Alloa off top spot.


BRECHIN threatened in two minutes when a shot on the turn from Andy Jackson went wide.

In 26 minutes, Chris O’Neil was denied by a brave save from Queen’s keeper Andrew Murphy.

In 39 minutes, O’Neil set up Jackson and his shot was blocked.

At the start of the second half, Brechin’s Willie Dyer drove wide, then, in 56 minutes, Ally Love had a drive saved by Murphy.

In 86 minutes, a Jackson volley was saved by Murphy, then, at the other end, a header from David Galt was cleared off the line.

 ??  ?? East Fife substitute Kevin O’Hara pulls a goal back against Alloa.
East Fife substitute Kevin O’Hara pulls a goal back against Alloa.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom