The Sunday Post (Dundee)

MORTON 1 Oyenuga (62) DUMBARTON 1 Gaston (og, 27)


DUMBARTON were left feeling hard done-by after their 1-1 draw at Morton where two major decisions went against them.

Referee Mat Northcroft denied them a penalty when they were one goal up and then denied them a winner when he chalked off a goal that even Morton manager Jim Duffy said should have stood.

Sons boss Stephen Aitken said: “It was a clear-cut penalty and then the goal was chalked off by the referee’s assistant, who was 25 yards away.

“Jim is honest and he said that there was nothing wrong with it.

“Before the game I would have been happy with a point, but it is disappoint­ing how things worked out.”

The first chance came on 26 minutes when Morton’s Jamie Lindsay charged forward and evaded a couple of challenges however, his parting shot from 20 yards slipped past.

The visitors took the lead a minute later in fortunate circumstan­ces when Ryan Stevenson floated over a cross from the left that home goalkeeper Derek Gaston came through a ruck of bodies to punch clear.

However, the ball spun off his glove and dropped into the net.

Morton’s first break came on 59 minutes when Thomas O’Ware tripped Robert Thomson in the box, but no penalty was given.

The hosts made the most of that reprieve three minutes later when Michael Tidser’s cross was deflected into the path of Kudus Oyenuga and he flicked home.

The visiting Grant Gallagher almost netted at the wrong end 13 minutes from the end when he sent a header against the bar.

Dumbarton were incensed further when Joe Thomson’s 20-yard strike was ruled out for a foul on Gaston after play was initially allowed to continue.

Their fury would have been worse had Oyenuga converted a late headed chance with Duffy saying : “We did not play and were fortunate to get a point.

“We could have nicked it at the end but that would have been a travesty for Dumbarton.”

“There was no infringeme­nt at the goal.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom