Ex-bishop claims market forces putting at-risk teens in danger
The Government should fund more secure spaces for mentallyvulnerable teenagers as up to half of Scotland’s units are full of English teenagers, according to a landmark report.
The review released last week confirmed The Sunday Post reports that Scots young people are being put behind bars because council-run secure care units are forced to take in young people from England and Wales for the money.
William Lindsay, 16, should have been sent into secure care but took his own life in Polmont Young Offenders’ Institution after being taken off suicide watch on October 7. to themselves and to others represents an incentive to place young people in need and in trouble in prison, rather than a therapeutic environment.
“The tragic and unnecessary death of young William Lindsay underscores the perils of the present system.”
Paul Carberry, director of Action for Children Scotland, said the inquiry – a “follow-up” to the 1964 Kilbrandon report which led to the creation of the Children’s Hearing System – had highlighted an important issue.
He said: “It is about saying there are kids on our doorstep who we should be providing opportunities for.”
The Scottish Government said arrangements had been in place for “cross-border placements” in secure units for a number of years.
A spokesman said there is “no clear evidence” supporting young people from England prevented those in Scotland being admitted.
He added: “It is the local authority’s duty to provide, or make provision for, secure care.
“Placements are often filled and vacated on an emergency basis and so the position is very dynamic.
“We would expect local authorities to contact all providers to verify realtime availability, and to notify the contract manager and the Scottish Government if they are having difficulty in placing a young person.” William was a wee lost boy
William Lindsay took his own life after being taken off suicide watch
Polmont, where teenager died