The Sunday Post (Inverness)
Mcewens of Perth opened its flagship store as a women’s fashion retailer in 1868.
The shop had its own tailors making made-to-measure clothes to “satisfy the fashion requirements of Perthshire ladies”.
It later became a traditional department store, selling men’s clothes, cosmetics and homeware. The Bullough family bought the business in 1982 and expanded it into a small chain with outlets in Ballater, Inverness and Oban. When the Ballater store relocated in 2007, it was opened by Prince Charles and the Duchess of Rothesay. But the Inverness store was closed as a cost-cutting measure in 2013 and the remaining stores shut down in 2016 with the loss of 110 jobs. Independent retailer Beales has now taken over the former Mcewens of Perth building on St John Street.