The Sunday Post (Inverness)

Montrose denied late on after first-half surge



Montrose surrendere­d a two-goal lead against Airdrieoni­ans, but stay in contention for the play-offs after sharing four goals at Links Park.

The hosts were first to threaten in six minutes when Lewis Milne curled the ball wide of the post.

In 23 minutes, Terry Masson drove over from a Chris Mochrie pass.

The Gable Endies opened the scoring in 30 minutes. Andy Steeves exchanged passes with Mochrie and set up Cammy F Ballantyne, who beat a man and shot into the bottom corner.

Five minutes later, Milne shot wide of the target from a Russell Mclean lay-off. Montrose added a second on halftime. Graham Webster ran to the byline and his cross was knocked into his own net by Sean Crighton.

Airdrie raised their game at the start of the second half and, in 49 minutes, a shot from Dale Carrick clipped the bar.

In 51 minutes, Carrick headed the ball into the box and it came off the head of Mclean for an own goal.

Airdrie had their tails up and Turner shot just wide, then Connell should have done better from six yards.

Three minutes from time, a drive from Thomson forced Aaron Lennox to save.

The Diamonds levelled in the fourth minute of added-time. Crighton swung in a cross from the right and Lennox somehow let the ball slip through his hands and over the line.


Falkirk ended a testing week on a high as victory kept them three points clear of Cove Rangers at the top of League 1.

The Bairns went out of Scottish Cup to Celtic before also losing to Airdrie in midweek, but Clyde’s schedule has been even tougher and they had little left yesterday in their third game in five days.

Falkirk took advantage after only nine minutes when Ben Hall tapped home the rebound after two other efforts had been blocked on the goalline.

Calumn Morrison and Conor Sammon both forced fine saves from visiting keeper David Mitchell, but striker Aidan Keena beat him again midway through the second half with an accurate shot from the edge of the box.

Keena later hit the bar and Blair Alston inspired more heroics from keeper Mitchell, yet Falkirk still had to survive a nervy last six minutes when sub Josh Jack pulled one back for Clyde.


Neither team stamped their authority on the opening exchanges, with the highlight of the opening quarter-of-anhour being a Fraser Fyvie effort from the edge of the box that flashed wide. Cove began to dominate, but the efforts, two from Rory Mcallister and one from Connor Scully, came from distance. The critical moment in the game arrived 10 minutes after the turnaround. A corner swung into the danger area forced Sam Ramsbottom into a save, but Mcallister forced it over the line.

Paul Hartley’s team looked to kill the match, racking up the efforts at goal, but couldn’t add a second despite sub Connor Smith cutting in to strike the post with a right-footed effort.


Gary Irvine slumped to defeat in his first game as interim Forfar boss, leaving Forfar rock bottom of League 1.

The home side looked hungry as they began life after Stuart Malcolm’s midweek resignatio­n, but it was the visitors who came closest to opening the scoring. Former Loons’ winger Danny Denholm did brilliantl­y to fire across the box to Kevin Smith, but the striker hit the bar from no more than three yards.

The Fifers scored on 25 minutes, however. Ryan Wallace controlled a clearing header with his chest and lashed a ferocious volley low into the corner.

At half-time, a second winter had descended on Station Park and there was some doubt as to whether the heavy snowfall would stop play. After a pitch inspection and a lengthy delay, the referee decided to play on.

Seven minutes into the second half, Jordan Allan chased a long ball that looked to be headed for keeper Long. But the stopper dithered and the former Wolves’ man nipped in to score.

Forfar weren’t level for long, however, as goalscorer Wallace delivered a freekick for Smith who, this time, converted from close range.

From then on, the game never looked in doubt and things got worse for the Loons as BJ Coll saw red for a second bookable offence in the 78th minute. The loss means Forfar remain cut adrift at the bottom of the table, while Darren Young’s Bayview side strengthen­ed their play-off hopes.


Peterhead had their only real opening early on when a deflection was needed to turn Jordan Brown’s swipe behind from a cutback.

In a half of few chances, Thistle edged in front five minutes before the interval. Conor Murray had an effort well kept out by Josh Rae.

However, he turned provider just seconds later, squaring for Joe Cardle to tap into an empty net.

They doubled their lead soon after the break when Peterhead failed to cut out keeper James Sneddon’s long kick-out, with Cardle putting it on a plate for Scott Tiffoney.

The visitors were well on top by this point and secured the points on the hour when Brian Graham’s glancing header from a corner bounced in at the back post with Rae grasping at air.

 ??  ?? Chris Mochrie (Montrose) keeps the ball away from Airdrieoni­ans defender Paul Mckay at Links Park
Chris Mochrie (Montrose) keeps the ball away from Airdrieoni­ans defender Paul Mckay at Links Park

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom