Foot­baller rape vic­tim wel­comes judge­ment

The Sunday Post (Newcastle) - - NEWS -

Rape sur­vivor Denise Clair says she is re­lieved a stu­dent has been awarded £80,000 for her sex at­tack or­deal.

But the mum-of-one says the stu­dent should not ex­pect a penny in com­pen­sa­tion.

Denise, 31, from West Loth­ian, who was awarded £100,000 dam­ages against foot­ballers David Good­willie and David Robert­son for rap­ing her, said: “I hope the Sher­iff ’s judge­ment is all the jus­tice she ex­pected be­cause I still haven’t seen a penny for what I was put through.

“The civil court has also recog­nised with this new case that women who have been let down by the crim­i­nal jus­tice sys­tem at least have an­other route to jus­tice.”

Denise made le­gal his­tory when she sued play­ers Good­willie, 30, and Robert­son, 31, af­ter the two took her from a night­club to an empty flat where they raped her and left her naked and alone. Lord Matthews awarded her £100,000.

Clyde player Good­wilie was charged, but that was dropped de­spite Denise be­ing as­sured the rape case would go ahead.

Last week Sher­iff Robert Weir awarded a former St An­drews Univer­sity stu­dent £80,000 against Bury man Stephen Coxen, 25, who was given a “not proven” ver­dict af­ter stand­ing trial for rape in 2015. The Sher­iff de­scribed the her ev­i­dence as com­pelling.

Denise Clair

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.