For­mer di­rec­tor: Sec­ond art school fire was un­for­give­able

Pro­fes­sor calls for rav­aged build­ing to be taken out of board con­trol

The Sunday Post (Newcastle) - - NEWS - By Ju­dith Duffy JDUFFY@SUNDAYPOST.COM

Aformer di­rec­tor of the Glas­gow School of Art claims it is “ab­so­lutely un­for­give­able” the iconic build­ing was gut­ted by fire and that it should be taken into the care of a trust.

Pro­fes­sor Tony Jones said the idea of taking the build­ing out of the hands of the art school and leas­ing it back for a pep­per­corn rent had been dis­cussed in the 1980s, when he held his post.

The idea faded, but he said cre­at­ing a trust now would place the build­ing “in the hands of trusted over­sight.” He called on First Min­is­ter Nicola Stur­geon to ap­point a team of ex­pert trus­tees to en­sure the fu­ture of the build­ing was “in safe hands”.

Pro­fes­sor Jones said: “The loss of Mack­in­tosh’s mas­ter­piece is ab­so­lutely un­for­give­able. Glas­gow’s sin­gle­most fa­mous build­ing, a gem in Scot­land’s crown, burned down.”

The com­ments have been made in a sub­mis­sion to the Scot­tish Par­lia­ment’s cul­ture com­mit­tee, which will hold an­other ev­i­dence ses­sion on the Mack­in­tosh fire on Thurs­day. Mean­while, ex­perts have called on the GSA to pub­lish a list of all items lost in both the 2014 and 2018 fires.

The Glas­gow School of Art said: “Pro­fes­sor Jones more than any­one ap­pre­ci­ates the in­ex­tri­ca­ble link be­tween the build­ing, the school and the ed­u­ca­tional ex­pe­ri­ence of our stu­dents. We are con­fi­dent that af­ter read­ing our sub­mis­sion to the Scot­tish Par­lia­ment he will re­flect on this sug­ges­tion.”

A spokesper­son added de­tails of the im­pact of the 2014 fire on col­lec­tions and ar­chives had al­ready been made avail­able.

The blaze de­stroyed sev­eral build­ings

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.