The Sunday Post (Newcastle)
Julie’s Croissant bread and butter pudding with rum berry compote
For the bread and butter pudding:
5 stale croissants
3 medium eggs
2 tsp cinnamon powder
Icing sugar for dusting
For the rum berry compote: 300g leftover berries or any fruit you have
4 tbsp sugar (or more depending on what fruits you use, taste to test) 4 tbsp rum, sherry, brandy or whisky
1. Begin by tearing up the old croissants and place into a skillet with the odd extra berry placed amongst the bits if you have extra.
2. Mix the eggs, cream, cinnamon and sugar together till combined, don’t over whisk. 3. Pour the mixture over the croissants.
4. Dust powdered sugar over the top and flake over any nuts at this point (I like to use pistachio and almonds) and pop into the oven.
5. Make the rum berry compote. Whisk together equal parts of sugar and your liquor of choice, put into a saucepan and allow for the alcohol to cook off a little.
6. Add berries and stew until it’s soft but not a complete liquid. I prefer having a few fruits still whole.
7. Fetch the croissant butter pudding out of the oven and allow to cool down for 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with a touch more icing sugar once ready to serve and eat with clotted cream.