The Sunday Post (Newcastle)

Amazing Alston ace in the pack for Jags


David Wotherspoo­n makes it 1-0.

Blair Alston came off the bench to net a stunning back-heeled winner and keep the Jags third in the Championsh­ip.

Jags head coach, Kris Doolan, who fielded an unchanged side, said: “There are no easy games and it is a big three points.

“Wegaveaway­asoftpenal­ty,butwe lifted it in the second half and it was a brilliant winner by Blair (Alston). We have good experience and guys who know how to win the Championsh­ip.

“We are looking to catch the teams above us, and you an only do that by winning.

“BrianGraha­mwentinaft­erthegame to speak to the referee to find out why he was sent off, as it was a straight red, and we will lose him now to suspension.”

Thistle, who had lost just once in their last six outings, wasted no time in going infront,andwitheas­eatthat.Justtwo minutes had gone when Steven Lawless swung over a cross from the right, which was pulled down by Kerr McInroy, unmarked in front of goal 12 yards out before lashing the ball first time past a hopelessly exposed Jamie MacDonald.

Morton, with a string of injuries, could only field three outfield substitute­s, but came close to levelling after eight minutes when Steven Boyd found space at the edge off the area, but his shot dipped over.

Thistle almost doubled their lead in 19 minutes when McInroy was again given too much space, but his 18-yard shot was beaten away by MacDonald, and Brian Graham, following up, shot over on the angle from 15 yards.

Morton’s Jamie MacDonald dives at the feet of Partick’s Blair Alston.

Despite their basement position in the Championsh­ip, Morton came to Firhill yesterday with just one defeat in their previous four matches on their travels.

They showed a fighting spirit and were level in 32 minutes when captain Grant Gillespie netted from the spot after a needless trip by Stuart Bannigan on Kirk Broadfoot, although it appeared Lewis McGrattan had handled in the build up.

The Greenock men might have gone in front in 37 minutes when Boyd crossed to the far post but Tyler French headed over.

In an entertaini­ng encounter the Jags swept to the other end and in 40 minutes Jack McMillan, who had come on for the inured Harry Milne, drove over from 15 yards.

Tempers flared right on the interval when McMillan went down in the box and ‘Ton’s Jack Baird and Graham of Thistle were involved in an ugly exchange, which saw referee Alan Muir flash yellow cards at each of them.

Thistle captain Brian Graham, who was subbed in 72 minutes for Tomi

 ?? ??
 ?? ??
 ?? ??
 ?? ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom