Bat­tling Derby draw on Lam­pard ex­ploits to earn a sec­ond chance

The Sunday Telegraph - Sport - - Fa Cup - By John Percy at Pride Park

Frank Lam­pard lifted the FA Cup four times as a player, and hopes of an ex­tended run in this com­pe­ti­tion as a man­ager re­main alive af­ter a spir­ited come­back yes­ter­day.

His Derby side fought back from two goals down to force a re­play nei­ther man­ager wanted as Southamp­ton, last sea­son’s semi-fi­nal­ists, en­dured a frus­trat­ing af­ter­noon against Cham­pi­onship opposition.

They have al­ready em­bar­rassed Jose Mour­inho’s Manch­ester United in a cup com­pe­ti­tion this sea­son and al­most added Ralph Hasen­huttl to their list of scalps af­ter a typ­i­cally fre­netic tie.

Two goals from Nathan Red­mond had put Southamp­ton in cruise con­trol un­til Derby scored twice in three min­utes to main­tain hopes of a claim­ing a Pre­mier League vic­tim.

Hasen­huttl’s side re­main in the bot­tom three in the league and could have been on the end of his first FA Cup up­set, only for Jack Mar­riott to waste a golden chance in added time. With only goal­keeper An­gus Gunn to beat, he lifted his shot over the bar in the 95th minute to en­sure a re­match later this month.

Re­flect­ing on Mar­riott’s miss, Lam­pard said: “I think that was tired­ness and ten­sion in the legs. I’ve been there my­self, and it’s un­for­tu­nate.

“He’s scored goals for us be­fore – like the win­ner against Nor­wich last weekend – and he will score goals for us again, but the men­tal­ity of the come­back pleased me be­cause I was frus­trated in the first half.

“When we are at it, we are a match for any­one.”

It had all looked very promis­ing for Hasen­huttl af­ter 50 min­utes, with Southamp­ton at­tack­ing with pace and Red­mond in one of those moods where he can dom­i­nate op­po­nents.

They had al­ready threat­ened the Derby goal be­fore tak­ing a fourth­minute lead.

Red­mond was given far too much space out­side the penalty area and his shot was ar­row­ing to­wards the bot­tom cor­ner be­fore Derby de­fender Richard Keogh in­ad­ver­tently di­verted the ball into his own goal.

The game ap­peared be­yond Derby’s reach in the 48th minute when Red­mond added the sec­ond goal, bend­ing a won­der­ful shot into the top cor­ner from 22 yards with goal­keeper Kelle Roos rooted to his goalline.

Game over? Not so. The come­back was on in the 58th minute af­ter a bril­liantly crafted goal in which Mar­riott volleyed Tom Lawrence’s clever flick into the cor­ner.

Lawrence then de­liv­ered a fine equaliser, tak­ing the ball from near the half­way line be­fore driv­ing a shot past Gunn from 20 yards.

Southamp­ton had chances to avoid a re­play, with Mo­hamed Ely­ounoussi head­ing straight at Roos from an un­marked po­si­tion, be­fore James WardProwse sliced his shot over the bar.

How­ever, Mar­riott squan­dered the chance to hog the head­lines in added time, missing the tar­get from in­side the area af­ter he was sent clear by sub­sti­tute David Nu­gent.

Hasen­huttl said: “It was a typ­i­cal cup-tie be­cause the op­po­nent never gives up fight­ing. In the end, we’ve seen two teams try­ing to win, so we have to do it again.

“We felt too com­fort­able af­ter 2-0, but it was a very good per­for­mance to that point. For a long time, we didn’t give many chances away and we were too sure we would win the game.

“It’s a pity we didn’t win, be­cause now we have one more game.

“We didn’t want this game, and we had a good chance to go through and gave it away.”

Bouncing back: Tom Lawrence fires home Derby’s equal­is­ing goal to set up the re­play

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.